Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 22 March 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a good week and stays healthy. Sending you all protective energy!

• LINDA - I have just added eggs to my list for tomorrow!
  • Lindybird - nice to see you have got back safely. Happened after the funeral for BIL, just as I was getting into the car, clipped a kerb and went and landed on my cheek..

Finally heard from your tour operator that the break is cancelled and we decided to put the money towards the next break in Sept, , if that goes ahead. At least we know where we stand and feel much happier about things.

Been a glorious day if a bit chilly but lovely to hear the sounds of spring and whilst out on Friday, the gorse appearing and the blackthorn, all signs of spring and now we have returning ospreys as well. Can't be bad.
  • Hallo all:  Was just reading the CDC guidelines that said face masks weren't necessary as long as you keep your distance; that frequent hand washing was much more important.  I'll be going out one morning this week to round up some basic stuff.- I do wear gloves which you're supposed to take off inside out and dump them, then wash your hands or use sanitizer, otherwise once you get in the car, there's this whole thing of wiping off handles, steering wheels, gear shifts, etc., once you get home.  What a carry on!    I may wear a mask (I've got 7 of the 'good' ones left over from wildfires) but our local hospitals are burning through their supplies and have sent out requests to closed businesses such as paint stores, construction companies,, etc., asking that any spare supplies be donated.  Somehow I don't think 7 will make a big dent.  I was going to say it's a First World problem, except it isn't.

Heather:  Will your son be in line for any government subsidies/loans,  etc?   Spoke to a neighbor who works in the Spa a local fancy hotel.  They've closed; she's filed for unemployment but is wondering how long that will take because the number of people applying are climbing daily at a fairly dramatic level.

OG:  Good to hear that J is managing to do some study/work at home.   A friend's daughter just finished her nursing course but is now unable to take the State test to get her licence (I suspect her Mom isn't feeling too bad about that).

AQ;  Hairdressers are open, eh?   I'm surprised that your schools aren't closed yet.  Hate it that you're missing a silo art trip.   Are the markets restricting the number of specific items one person can purchase?  Hope you manage to score some eggs tomorrow.

I'm gobsmacked because OH has been packing up boxes of some of his hundreds (or more?) of books and is taking them to the Planned Parenthood depository to include in their annual sale - a massive multi-day fund-raising event held annually at the local showgrounds/hall.  He's been talking about it for years and then it came up again when we committed to the new floor and paint because we'd have to box them up and move the bookshelves.  I just never thought he'd do it!  He has four floor-to-ceiling dark wood bookcases that he built himself eons ago and is even talking about getting rid of a couple of them!  It would certainly give him more space and lighten things up.    Meanwhile, I've been wondering about painting/lime washing or completely covering up the brick fireplace in 'my' room but it's not the sort of thing you can slap paint on 'just to see,' so I got some thick paper from the local craft store (before they closed) and have taped it over all the brick just to get an idea of the overall effect. I probably won't get a good feel for it until I take the paper down and reveal the brick again.  Not an important problem I know.  Everything is on hold....

Take care all.

• Good Morning. Went to bed absolutely dog tired last night - busy in the house, and fending a lot of calls and messages from friends concerned that we are all right. Youngest was ready to give me a lecture on what was going on, but found that I was more clued up than he was! Had a nice video call from Eldest, with a face to face chat with Amber, just out of her bath and full of beans even though it was bedtime. We were hoping to have Amber to stay here for part of Easter, but that's not possible now of course.

Looked up numbers on a useful thing to click on, on the BBC News page - apparently there are only 18 cases of the virus in the whole of our very large part of our county - Cheshire is huge.

Will be looking to see if I can get an order in, somewhere other than Tesco. May be able to get milk & eggs from our local dairy, who deliver, which would be a big help - we both have porridge for breakfast every day.

Lynette, I hope your bruises are going down, although in my experience they usually go through a few rainbow colours before subsiding!

More later. Sun is bright again here, but its only just above freezing.
  • Go on the BBC News UK site, and search for "dancing zookeeper!" They have cameras on the animals at the zoo to cheer people up, He decided to do his own thing!
  • Flowers opening in our garden:

Bah!!  -- still won't post.....

• All I have are a few camellia flowers on the sunny side of the shrub. Loads of buds, though!
  • Our magnolia tree is magnificent, particularly against a cloudless blue sky. Lots of daffodils, although they are going over a bit. Tulips are peeking through. Hyacinths smell wonderful. Buds on some of the trees and shrubs. Spring is definitely springing! So grateful for our extensive grounds, where we can walk freely.
  • Just managed to lose a longish post so will now just say that it is good to read all your news. Thinking of you all, do take care.