Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 8 March 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL SUPER MOON!

The full moon is 9 March. I hope everyone has a wonderful week! It's warming up here! Yay! 

• Diane:  Aaaack! Oh don't even go there (postponing the election!)  We've already got Vladimir setting himself up for a permanent gig as President.   And yes, saw that news about the Brazilian government person who had his photo taken with Donald at Mar-a-Largo last weekend and heard something about Pence too....    And I don't think Trump's 'help' for the economy seems to have settled anyone on Wall Street....  

AQ: I really think the media is hyping the situation too.... But hey, it wins eyes and ear; not sure about hearts and minds though...

I'm off to bed with a murder mystery to lull me to sleep......

• Thanks DIANE :-) :-)
    I hope that we are all OK - it was lovely to read, PAT, that you enjoyed your time with the wee fella !
    OG - you won't need to mention the food company, we shall know immediately...
    I think you have right idea, ANNETTE. Escape into another world via books.
    The whisky shop has had a better week and my son is apparently getting a grant from the Council - for businesses directly or indirectly affected by recent flooding.
  • Diane: Geez. Thanks for reminding us! :-))

Heather: Hurray for Council grants. Maybe grandson has some high-alcohol-content whisky that he can re-purpose as hand sanitizer? Could make a bundle..... :-)
  • Sitting in a meeting the other day we were talking about hand sanitisers which should be at the back of the church for everyone to use as they come in. But none available locally - only empty shelves. Someone suggested mixing glycerine with vodka, which would work just as well. But alcohol on Methodist premises? Collapse of meeting …!
  • I was at the bank yesterday. They had bottles of Purell at each teller's window plus one at the main desk in the lobby. I mentioned to one employee on my way out that someone would steal it if they weren't careful and she said that that was the last one they were putting in the lobby precisely because people were taking them! Honestly.
  • ANNETTE - awful at so many levels....
    ROSY - I hope that your OH is responding to the ABs, have been thinking about you both.

Also hoping that LINDY and her OH are enjoying their holiday.

My stepson and his wife will not now be going to Madrid for his 60th birthday. They hate parties, both giving them and attending them so I imagine that they will try and think of somewhere local to escape to....
  • Had an email from food delivery company asking me to get in touch with them, referring to my feedback via Trust Pilot. Did so by email - no further response yet.

ANNETTE - your bank is lucky to get supplies of sanitizer - nothing available here - even mighty Amazon has sold out! Disgraceful about thefts from the lobby.

HEATHER - pleased about your Son's grant re flooding effect on the shop. Sorry your Stepson and wife will miss their trip - but better safe than sorry.

PAT - had to laugh at your church meeting discussion! Pleased your trip went well - including football and fun with Charlie.

I have been trying to decide how far to self-isolate for my own protection. Decided I shall not go to Churches Together Spring Fair tomorrow morning - too many people too close together. But do want to support our new Minister at his induction service in the afternoon - will probably go but refuse to shake any hands and not stay for the bunfight! We think we may miss out on a lunch plan for OH's birthday next week, but will watch for any new advice.
  • I think the latest raft of cancellations this afternoon has been a bit of a shock, certainly to me. Cancelling (or at least postponing) the London Marathon and the Masters golf certainly shows people are beginning to take this seriously. I suppose that puts the French Open tennis and Wimbledon at risk as well.

At the bowls club this morning they have fitted a hand sanitiser just by the entrance. It gave me an enormous dollop of gunk which took ages to dry on my hands. And we didn't shake hands at the end of our game - did the elbow pump instead. That could become a trend! Either that or a little wave of the fingers …

OG - Hope you manage to get to the Minister's induction service. It means so much to a new Minister to know they are welcomed - and it's usually a good time to find out a bit more about him as well.
  • Some authorities here have been suggesting “fist bumps” instead of shaking hands. I wonder, no virus bugs lodge on backs of hands? Then there’s the Sunday School teacher who suggested “elbow bumps”. . . until Dau pointed out that children are taught these days to sneeze or cough into their elbow if they have no tissue. For me, no touching, just a smile please.

Grand Design report. 1½ days worked this week (Monday was a public holiday). The window facing north in the 2-storey section was yesterday obscured (from us) by framework for roof gables. We await the roof of the 2nd storey. I teased OH that it would be a 3rd storey LOL