• Very sad about the Loch Doon chick. Wildlife (and people!) around the world would be far better off if everyone took all of their rubbish home with them and disposed of it properly.
    Patily, Sorry to hear about Green J. She was a great bird.

Kind regards, Ann

• patily said:
    .I emailed RD about Green J and although she bred successfully last year, raising 3 chicks she did not return this year so another known bird not coming back

I am in awe of you, PATILY, keeping track of birds who are not headliners - but what sad news, she did have a place in my heart Purple heart   She must have been a very good age.

IMAGICAT

• According to UK Ospreys Green J was hatched in 1991, which means she would have been 28 years old last year.

A very good age indeed.

Richard B

• This is wonderful news, I knew that they had erected a platform there but never knew they had bred successfully. For those who do not know the location, it is between Dunblane and Doune in Stirlingshire.

EDIT: I see that the adult bird feeding the chick has the ring number NF3 - listed on UK Ospreys NF1 and NF2 both 2016 birds, NF1 ringed in Loch Fleet, and  NF2 ringed in Errogie, Invernesshire. 

LINK TO FACEBOOK POST BY ARDGATY RED KITES 

NOTE - I see in the comment section the guy who looks after the platform etc says that the Female is from Dundreggan Highland Region and the Male is from CRIEFF.

• How wonderful - thanks Mary!
  • Always nice to hear about another successful nest.
    It looks like it's a few miles from water, but it suits them.
    I see that NF1 and NF2 are 2016 birds, so probably NF3 is the same age (UK Ospreys)

Richard B

• Plenty of rivers near by Richard, the River Teith being one of them but there are more closer.   

• I think this is wonderful news, thank you so much Mary. Five chicks from the new nest in two years.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• The three chicks this year were ringed Sheila and Ranger Tom said they would be posting photos on their Facebook Page Smiley

I think it was about 7 years ago that they erected the platform, so good to see that it was eventually used.  

• Thanks, Mary, I look forward to ring news in due course.  It's a pity the male wasn't around to check his ring number, LOL!!  It was probably a quick change-over, and he didn't hang around to take any flack!  LOL

Dundreggan has been mentioned by Roy Dennis recently, in relation to Golden Eagles.  It sounds as though the Estate is a major conservation business - "We will be building more Golden Eagle, White-tailed Eagle and Osprey nests this winter".

Edit:  extract from Wiki - the Estate is part of Trees for Life is a registered charity working to Rewild the Scottish Highlands.

Dundreggan Estate[edit]

In August 2008 Trees for Life successfully purchased the 4,000 hectare Dundreggan Estate in Glenmoriston, in the Scottish Highlands – one of the largest areas of land in the UK to be bought for forest restoration. The £1.65 million deal is the charity's most significant and important project to date, and follows more than two years of negotiations.[6]

Dundreggan, lying on the north side of Glenmoriston to the west of Loch Ness, is home to declining species such as black grouse and wood ants. It contains areas of ancient woodland, including one of Scotland's best areas of juniper as well as significant areas of dwarf birch; however, much of the estate is open treeless ground. It was previously managed as a traditional sporting estate for many years, and heavy grazing by sheep and deer has prevented the healthy growth of woodland and other natural habitats. Trees for Life's purchase of the estate will allow them to plant 500,000 native trees and re-connect the forest between Glen Moriston and Glen Affric.

By 2058, Trees for Life's long-term plan will see Dundreggan restored to a wild landscape of diverse natural forest cover, with the return of species including red squirrel, capercaillie, golden eagle and European beaver. Scientific research and education programmes will be established and most human infrastructure removed. Dundreggan Lodge and a neighbouring cottage will be renovated to a high ecological standard, providing a base for volunteers and educational displays for students, researchers and school children. After a feasibility study in Glen Affric six wild boar, donated by the Highland Wildlife Park, were re-introduced to a large fenced area of the estate in November 2009.[7]

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/