LOCH OF THE LOWES - March 2020

2019 season summary: Laddie (LM12) arrived back from migration on Friday 15th March; Lassie (LM15) on Saturday 23rd March. Lassie laid 3 eggs on 4th, 7th and 10th April, hatching 11th, 12th and 16th May. Sadly, on 26th May the third chick died. The remaining two chicks were ringed on 26th June as follows: #1 Blue PT4 (M)* #2 Blue PT5 (M)*.  They successfully fledged and subsequently set off for their first migration on 14th/15th August. Laddie left around the same time as the youngsters and it is thought that Lassie had already started her journey south approximately 2 weeks prior.

* Updated to both being female © Uk Ospreys

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/ 

Both Ospreys (unringed) have been a breeding pair on this nest since 2015, after the iconic 'Lady' failed to return.

Laddie/Lassie identifying features (LotL Blog, April 2019 - (C) SWT/LotL) >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2019/04/whos-on-the-nest/ 

Copyright Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes 

Looking forward to Laddie and Lassie's safe homecoming and a very successful 2020 breeding season

Laddie (LM12) arrived back to LotL at 15:33 on 21st March. Blog here>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2020/03/lm12-is-back-at-loch-of-the-lowes/

• Starling said:
    I think she's trouble LOL

If she's very young (and if Lassie doesn't turf her out) we could be in for an edge-of-seat breeding/feeding season.

IMAGICAT

• It's interesting to note that osprey in other countries are frequently seemingly undisturbed by close proximity to humans (near roads, marinas etc.) whereas in UK that is most definitely not the case. Ian
  • We did have a couple who came to the inner waters of Poole Harbour last year, and were hanging about and fishing very close to the city centre,
    They were young first year birds.

Richard B

• Ian S said:
    It's interesting to note that osprey in other countries are frequently seemingly undisturbed by close proximity to humans (near roads, marinas etc.) whereas in UK that is most definitely not the case. Ian

I don't think that in Scandinavia or the US, Australia or Canada that they were subject to the same persecution that happened in the UK. Who knows what is now genetically ingrained in the memories of these birds that have existed for millions of years?  Therein may lie the answer to your interesting question.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Unknown said:
    We did have a couple who came to the inner waters of Poole Harbour last year, and were hanging about and fishing very close to the city centre,
    They were young first year birds.

I knew that someone would point out the exception to the rule Slight smile Ian

• Laddie to the nest with a stick

He's been moving other sticks around and did some nest cupping too

©SWT/LotL

• Starling said:
    'm not impressed with the head pecking, I think she's trouble

Indeed! And she seemed to grab his wing feathers with the fish first time-round. He's such a good provider too as the years have shown. Let's hope she starts to treat him nicely.

• Twitter update

Facebook update

(doesn't mention whether scylla's Exocet got him/her)

• Thanks Korky. I hope the message gets through!

20:18 Laddie to the nest

Gone at 20:21

I thought he had a fish in his left talons when he flew off and this proved right on his next brief visit at 20:22 

©SWT/LotL

• Sandra P said:
    I thought he had a fish in his left talons when he flew off and this proved right on his next brief visit at 20:22 

I'm so relieved, I've been so miserable for dear Laddie :'(  It's just one of those days, no doubt, what with everything going on around us.

Here was MsNasty not letting Laddie have the fish even tho she was full, and flying off for the final time today, and dear Laddie doing a bit of nestcupping.

Now don't tell me off and don't scoff - I just misplaced my detached observer hat today ;)

I'll do another vid for Laddie's end-of-day.

IMAGICAT