Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 9 February 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. I also hope everyone stays safe from the big UK storm.

• Good Morning. Not too bad here, Annette. But then we live on a flat plain, and the wind and weather seem to rush over us to somewhere else, and wreak havoc in the hills. Feel so sorry for those flooded once again.

The Oscars looked interesting, with the 1st non English speaking film winning, and my choice of Renee Zellweger getting her well deserved prize. Have yet to get chance to see any of the speeches, but believe it was a bit 'flat' without an actual host. They need to get James Corden in!

AQ - Truly terrible statistics about the fires. A part of your country's history which will go down in the schoolbooks, unfortunately. Well done on tackling the garage: I'm sorting out my stuff a bit at a time, too, it's the only way when faced with years of keeping too many things. My OH despairs at my habits, but has been very good about it - he is the opposite, and keeps very little.

Speaking of which, I'm spending today refilling the drawers in the study with the now sorted out stationery, so must go get my breakfast and get started!
  • Well, there it was - gone. But the remaining wind is loud and the occasional sleet showers are icy - coming from the north, however, sunshine is more encouraging. Plenty of damage around - tree down on minor road about four miles from here, railway flooded on the border, most road potholes enlarged and blizzard conditions on Mway at Beattock …. …..

J at work - and OH will meet him at the surgery for a Doc appt after work - trying to sort out the muddle of "late effects" surveillance moving to Scotland from Manchester, so they are taking his whole record file with them! Meanwhile, my rearranged blood tests earlier this afternoon. Both spent morning so far trying to arrange domestic appts for servicing various items - one successfully booked, out of seven!

LINDA - sounds as if you are nearly there with the nice new furniture and rearranged rooms - really organised!
  • Oh, OG - I wish! Piles of paper everywhere, and lots of things which I don't know where to put for the best access in future. I suppose it will all come out right in the end!

Took ten minutes out to hand wash some scarves, as the sun came out brightly this morning, so got them on the line, where they promptly wound themselves around the line in the breeze! The birds looked very excitable, and jumped straight onto my offerings, I do hope they don't think it's Spring already. Plenty of places sound as if they have more bad weather to come.

Hope that J gets some sensible advice and help when he sees the Doc.

ps.  Nearly forgot -  my OH was not to be outdone when he saw me busily sorting. He got out his paintbrush and redid the white gloss in the downstairs bathroom, then had an hour at the allotment! I made him read a book after lunch!

• Morning all   Got a photo of a snow dusting in sister's garden in Lincolnshire;  Windy and cool here.  

I recorded and then fast forwarded through the Academy Awards, which I thought was somewhat more polished than recent years.  Haven't seen any of the movies other than Once Upon a Time....   I'd heard from folks who did see Parasite that it was really good.   Did any of you see Olivia Coleman (she was presenting this year)?  Reminiscing about her last year's win, she noted "It was the best night of my husband's life" which brought the house down.".  :-)  

OG: Hope EE won't leave any of J's medical records at the docs!

Busy day here today; take care all.

• Lindy - You are still encouraging me to continue with my February spring-clean. Having now done all the drawers in the lounge, I have moved on to the kitchen. This morning it was saucepans and casseroles - does anyone out there want nine redundant and almost new (a couple never used!) casseroles? Why did I buy them in the first place???? I think our local homeless shelter will be glad of them - they help people who have moved into unfurnished accommodation and need all sorts of things to get them started. I'm always happier when things can go to a place like that rather than a charity shop. I also did the cupboards under the sink - always a nightmare. I can now see exactly what's in there, and so much stuff is now in the bin! Hooray!! Tomorrow it will be the two china cupboards … aarrgghh!
  • PatO Sounds like a very good idea re too many casserole pots.
  • PAT- I struggle to keep things in my kitchen cupboards - middle daughter is a collectomaniac! She is always breaking things as she rushes too much. First port of call is Mum....
  • Heather - Send your daughter down here. I'm sure I could furnish all her needs! Casseroles, saucepans, plates, bowls, cleaning materials, electric mixer, sandwich maker … and as for table mats, table cloths, cutlery. And that's before I get to the wardrobes ...
  • I suppose we have more "stuff" than previous generations. But I did feel rather resentful that I've struggled sometimes, to put whole sets of things together over many years yet now I'm expected to downsize and chuck it all out!

• I know what you mean Lindy. Now that we have finally managed to put things together, we find that we do not need them anymore!