Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 9 February 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. I also hope everyone stays safe from the big UK storm.

• @Lindy... Malta...that did bring back memories of 50 years ago…
    We were stationed on Island for 4 years and daughter was born.
    Anyone pregnant and wanting to ensure a quick delivery, was advised to take a. ‘bone shaker Bus trip.on the only main road at the time, as we lived in the very bottom of island this was a weekly trip for me to the Hospitals ’ , also you would suddenly see three cars ,stopped in the middle,with all windows down, chatting to each other.Everyone just drove round them...
    So things appear not to have changed...

• LOL Kate!! When we were there, must be over 5 years ago, they were modernising the main road which cuts right through the island, so our transport from the airport, twelve of us in a rickety mini bus, had to divert and cut through lots of smaller roads, winding around the lanes and back, so it seemed to take an age.

We stayed in Qawra, and found it handy to visit other areas - there's an amazing amount of historical buildings and areas all around, as Malta has been invaded by just about every other Mediterranean country at some time or another. I was sad to realise that their wicked custom of trapping birds, mostly migratory, was still going on, though :-(
  • I was wondering whether I would hire a car when I visit, hopefully later this year. Now I have decided I definitely won't! I did have to smile at the cars stopped in the middle of the road for the drivers to have a chat, and apparently that idea being taken for granted by the locals! And yes, their custom of trapping migratory birds is horrible; as a bird lover, I hate that thought.
  • Descriptions of roads in Malta made me feel travel-sick! Good job I have always sworn to never boost their tourism income because of their treatment of migratory birds. Good thing I never feel a yearning to leave these shores anyway!

Wondered where the storm was at the start of the day, but soon found out! Our new Minister had an "Open Door" morning in the church hall. We got there dry, and came home between two showers, but all morning could hear the wind building outside, and now we have seriously gusting wind and heavy rain. We were the only ones who turned up for a chat with him, so sat and chatted about our past and our families and got to know him better - easy to talk to and very relaxed, despite the bass sections of the town band using the church for a rehearsal!

Had soup for lunch, followed by Raspberries and ice cream, and not doing much this afternoon. Should really be working on the next magazine - don't like February - the short month makes it follow on too fast!
  • PS ROSY - thanks for the plant suggestions - will look them up now.
  • OG - I agree about the magazine this month. Our cut-off date is today and it needs to be issued next Sunday, the last Sunday of the previous month. And next week for me is manic, so goodness knows when I'm going to be able to do it! Some months I have two clear weeks … Dennis has also caused us to cancel tomorrow evening's service.
  • Tales of Malta's drivers reminds me of Mexico...

OG:  Nice you and EE made the effort to meet the new minister; a shame nobody else showed up - maybe the weather put them off.   Raspberries and ice cream - yum!

Unseasonably warm here this weekend with no rain in sight and the weather people are showing potential drought maps again....  :-(

Take care everyone...

• Less wind right now, but more expected - there was a tree down on the A75 this afternoon, but I see they now report they have cleared it. River Annan is expected to flood tonight. We are fine. … … hope you are too!
  • Glad you're OK. It sounds quite bad there.
  • We are now both alright, by the way. My OH had a couple of wobbly days, where he felt queasy and ate little. I was just "off" - we still dont know why but it wore off eventually and tonight we had our dinner from M&S , which was a leek & cheese souffle tart, followed by rack of lamb with honey & mustard crust, and broccoli spears. Then we had "Milllionaires Choc Pots" which were small but very rich pots of mousse covered in chocolate ganache with tiny crunchy balls of caramel. Yummy!