• Its like a secret society at times Mary. They only seem to confirm information, provided by others, and that is days later. Its a great shame, because if they were more up front, I'm sure greater support would be forthcoming.
  • I agree, Cathy, and considering removing them from my will!
  • The next test of their commitment will come shortly. You may recall that earlier in the year when LRWT took over the running much of the archive material was 'lost'. After a considerable protest it was restored BUT it was said this would only continue until 'the end of the year'. Quite what that means is anyone's' guess. What I do know is that years of data and reference material will no longer be available if they carry out their threat. They seem to have no idea of what this means to followers and, frankly, seem to care less!
  • Don't get me started about RW and their information. I have asked thru PMs several times on why they don't give more information of Site number/letter, pair and chicks - numbers and sex. But apparently that information puts their lives in jeopardy. And now we have 4K(13)m on another southward migration, At one time we could follow his route on GE, but nothing appeared in the spring. Again I had asked whether this would be brought over to the 'new' site and I think I was told they were working on it. But their work didn't reach a conclusion by the time 4K had returned. I can't believe that they just don't understand the value of their 'old' site with all the information it carried. I regret to say I haven't followed the family with the same passion as previously, and am most grateful to Karen's amazing coverage of the the nest.

Thank you Mary for posting their Tweet on his migration. Let's hope we hear how his migration goes before he returns to the islands off Guinea Bissau.
  • I understand completely, Sheila, but don't hold your breath. I'll be thrilled but surprised if we hear any more about 4K. I do love hearing news about him, especially since he and all of Glesni's chicks with Monty are first cousins (his Dad being Glesni's brother, Blue 11(10)). Also, I've lost track of the female Yellow 30(05), who was tagged as an adult. Rutland followed her migration to Africa when they had also initially tracked 4K and S1. Did her tracker fail or has she been declared dead or what? Anyone remember, please?
  • The only info I have about Yellow 30(05)f recently is that she returned in 2017, her mate Blue 32(11) returned for their second year together, no news of chicks,   2019 Blue 32 was seen, and on 6 September RW reported that her tag had failed.  She returned and was seen - I assume at Gwash River. 

I don't know whether either has been seen at Gwash River this year.

• This is September 2019 blogs - interesting to note that they say "4K started his own migratory journey on 7 September", so he is a regular late leaver which may suggest he has a brood to care for.

I can't find anything for Yellow 30(05).  And even if I tried to open a link posted in the Rutland Osprey Project - 2018 I get this...

• Yesterday, 16 September, RW wrote on their FB page:

Rutland Osprey Project  ·We have finally got some news about our remaining satellite tracked bird, male 4K(13)! He left Rutland on Monday 14 September at 07:00 and is now down on the Isle of Wight

I thanked them for the information and asked if they would be updating the tracking page, so we could follow him on GE - as we have done in the past with other osprey.  I had this back from them at 14.22 today

Rutland Osprey Project

Hi Sheila, thanks for your message. We will provide regular updates on his progress and once he has arrived at his wintering grounds we will release his full route as we did in the spring.

• And another update on 4K!

Rutland Osprey Project

4K made it across the English Channel and is now in France, just east of Carentan. Whilst crossing the Channel on the 15th September, he reached speeds of 30 kph! Eagle

© L&RWT ROP