Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 2 February 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

Almost spring...sort of. Today is Imbolc, the ancient traditional holiday marking the halfway point between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. I'm ready for a little sunshine. This has been the most dark, dreich winter ever. 

Yellow French Marigold
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Good Morning. Overslept again, and as nothing important going on today, my OH left me to sleep in.

Misty skies and damp, here. I hope Annette is having a good time with the family.

Rosy, glad the boiler is sorted. Not a good time of year to have the heating in trouble!
  • Lindy - Must be something in the air, as I overslept as well. Now off to spend the day with my three year old great-nephew, so I'll be shattered this evening, but happily so. Nothing like a three year old to keep you young … or so they say!
  • I woke up alright - but now keep falling asleep. Nothing really happening here today either! Finding more signs of spring - Fritillaries are now up, and birdlife increasing daily.
  • PAT - you will indeed be tired this evening but as you say - a happy tired!
    OG - Good t o read that J is more settled and back at work. I don't see much evidence of Spring in the garden - but I wasn't looking too closely!
    LYNETTE - hoping that you get some answers when you see your GP today.

I'm not feeling 100% today. Blaming it on some smoked salmon pate but who knows?!
  • Morning all: Daughter departed before the crack of dawn this morning and is now on the shuttle from Phoenix to Prescott. A good but very busy visit with lots of inter-generational interaction. :-) I see multiple naps and little else on today's agenda though I'll probably go to yoga this evening and spend most of the hour in savasana.

Thanks all for news; back later.
  • Lovely day with Charlie. Now I'm exhausted and cold - he insisted I stood around outside and watched him ride his bicycle and tractor around. The highlights of the day were watching a man on a crane repairing the top of a telegraph pole - lovely man, who talked to Charlie and told him what he was doing, and then brought the crane down - all very exciting. Then we fed the ducks, and threw a few sticks into the stream - and Charlie threw himself in as well! Didn't get too wet, but we had to walk back stamping to try to get him dry, singing 'The Grand Old Duke of York' loudly, which caused a few raised eyebrows. Then we played football with a super soft ball, and it seemed everyone in the park joined in - lovely! No wonder I'm shattered!!
  • Sounds wonderful, Pat. I love to sing with my little ones, even in public! Somehow, I'm less embarrassed about being labelled a "dotty old grandma" than I was years ago about being an odd mother....

Charlie sounds fun!

Annette, glad the visit went well. Enjoy your downtime now.

Heather, sorry you're not 100%. Hope it's a temporary thing.

Had a successful outing to nearby town, myself (usual things, more big bags to charity shop - DVDs, books, blouses I never wear: then Sainsburys) Was delighted to find it quiet everywhere and easy to park, and I seemed to get several things on my list which were on special offer. Great!
  • Pat O What a lovely descriptive account of your day with Charlie. I know how you feel as time spent with my 3 under 5 (soon to be 4!Grandchildren) leaves me feeling. Sounds like you had an great day. We have been very busy at work - which I suppose is good considering the World situation.

Just been reading about the poor people in Turkey killed in the avalanche - the 2nd one killed a lot of the rescuers.

In Suffolk we have been told by a weather warning that we will get very high winds from Sat 6pm through to Monday am. Fingers crossed my neighbours scaffolding stays put as she is  having a new back roof fitted. Its called Storm Ciara apparently.

Also been reading about the 2 cruise ships full of Japanese tourists that have both had confirmed coronavirus victims - how awful to be on one of those.

Keep healthy everyone,

• Good Morning. Frost here this morning (-2 degrees, AQ!) and the gardens and fields are white over. A bit of a shock for those plants which are in bud and look ready to burst open soon.

Harelady, batten down the hatches at the weekend, then! I think we'll all be getting the storm one way or another.
  • I have been lurking & reading your news. Not sure what day it is without a nanny day to hang my days on (don’t tell Dau!!!) We are hovering around max 30-32 C this week. Bearable if I am quietly at home. So why can’t I sleep at night?

Last week on the 41 C day I forgot to cover my veggies. One tomato bush has died, the other 2 are looking very unwell. Most of the fruit was sunburnt and I buried about 3 dozen. Wah, there go my hopes to freeze some for winter. Even the zucchini suffered and is only producing tiny fingers. The heat & humidity has not deterred the weeds of course.

Another tale of woe. Dau#1 suggested visiting to compare overseas trip photos with her father’s. We have searched every nook & cranny in the house. No photos. Nothing about trips. Plenty of stuff he had forgotten he had. What’s more OH does not remember if he even took a camera on his trips. He is puzzled when I explain that for some trips it would have been film not digital, prints not slides. Today we started on the chaos in the garage. He has always had a tendency to shove things at random into & on to whatever is already there. Not leaving aisles to access between mess. So far we have found computer backup CDs (mine), 2 boxes of family history memorabilia (mine), and nothing much of his. We now have 2 boxes to discard for 1) hard rubbish collection, 2) electrical “Unplug & Drop” recycler. After half hour he was fed up (and so was I), thus deferred for another session another day.