Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 January 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• OG - by garden plan, do you mean rotation of vegetables? When I did the old lady's garden I kept a garden journal but my OH had it all in his head !
    Quiet day here but stepson and wife came for coffee and chat this morning - a nice surprise. I mentioned the LPs and cassette tapes to him, he will look through them at some point.
  • HEATHER - although I mostly know the rotation for the vegetables, I like to check with my annual map of the garden because some things change - for instance potatoes came in new a number of years ago, and this year they are suspended, and peas will come back! Pleased you saw stepson and mentioned the audio media; that will have put your mind at rest. Good of them to call in.
  • Morning all:

AQ:  Those are some stunning photos of the Tasmanian eagles!  I think native peoples had much more appreciation of how and when to burn the land so it stayed healthy yet yielded the most for man and beast.  I'll think cool thoughts for you!

I'm off to help our recently widowed friend prune her roses this morning.  And the second part of my birthday present arrived yesterday in the shape of a friendly guy called Chris who set about finding and fixing the kinks in part of the front garden's irrigation system.  He'll be back Thursday morning to sort out the parkway area, which falls frequent victim to kids on bikes, Moms with strollers, etc.  This should mean less time for me standing out there with a hose and more efficient watering this summer.

By the way, I watched Maiden last night (the documentary about the all-female crew that sailed around the world in the Whitbread Race back in 1989).  I got the DVD from the library.  Inspiriing; heartwarming - just wonderful!  Every young girl should watch it.

• OG - difficult to choose between peas and potatoes and I loved both when I used to grow them. First early potatoes, lovely - but picking pea pods and cooking the same day, sublime! Sadly, no veg here now :-(

• ANNETTE - glad the irrigation is getting sorted for you. Amazed at the speed with which you find these guys - takes us weeks to find people who will even turn up to provide estimates, then months for them to actually do anything! Good that you can help the widowed lady with her roses,

HEATHER - OH got tired of growing peas because the Sparrows pulled up the young shoots, but I persuaded him that there is space to try again, and we can protect them. Have to make choices about what to grow as we have small veg patches - and no way we are going to expand them at this time in our lives. Veg can be quite labour-intensive.

• Yes, my OH is getting more careful about what he plants, as some things are really too much trouble!! This year, he's decided not to bother with leeks. They had to be banked up, and watered, and an eye kept on them, but in spite of all his care, we've had barely enough to cook for the last two years. We will be having peas and beans, though, this year, and beetroot, and strawberries, and just enough potatoes to enjoy early in the season.

Went to see "The Personal History of David Copperfield" (where we found someone sitting in our cinema seats, again!) and it was enjoyable. It stars Dev Patel, the young man who starred a while ago in "Slumdog Millionaire" and he is very good. The story fairly rattles along, with some fast scene changes here and there, but lots of very good performances by a cast who were slightly distracting, in a way, as I kept thinking "Who is that?" instead of concentrating on the story. Dickens's book was chock full of characters and a film can't fit them all in, so some were cut short and some were missing altogether - - anyone remember Barkis? - he courted Peggoty, and sent the message "Barkis is willing". Victorian London is well described, with the Houses of Parliament shown being built on the banks of the Thames.

Many comedy moments, and a lot of it played tongue in cheek by the cast. A good romp into a colourful era.

• The fall - I don't think it was a broken toe more like severe bruising. I find I am walking on it a bit more even though it niggles.

Lindybird - glad to hear that you are felling a lot better,.

HeatherB - Its just me and my clumsy ways sometimes, I do try and miss the obvious hazards but there always seems to be one which catches me out - thank goodness not too frequently.
  • OG - glad to read that J has his temporary glasses.

Picked mine up yesterday and will do nicely untill assessment again for the other cataract in 3 months time.

Thank you for all your news - lovely to read what you have been getting up to. Nothing much happening down here.

Do wish we could have some cold and frosty mornings to kill of those bugs but as yet we have not had much of a winter. Mind you there is still Feb and March to go!!
  • Progress at last on the rebuild over back fence. They are erecting the steel frame on the hottest day this week. Already (10 am) temp is 37 C and humidity 4%, yes just four! I shall be watching tennis this arvo & eve beneath a/c.
  • Evening all: Went over to friend's house to prune her rose bush and came back 3 hours later. For such a small garden, there's an amazing amount of work! Have read all the posts but too tired to respond individually. Have a good Thursday everyone.