Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 December 2019

HAPPY NEW YEAR and HAPPY NEW DECADE!

Photo: Aurora Borealis
U.S. Geological Survey: Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Demands that “we do something now” about climate change. OK something should have been done already, but right now they have to deal with the fires. One cannot consider rebuilding while the house is burning down.
  • AQ;  Indeed.  We are several decades late in 'doing something.'  Did I mention that I was talking about the Oz fires with a man from Sydney at the gym last week..  He offered the opinion that the various fire fighting services in Oz may not be as well supplied (he was talking fire-fighting planes) or coordinated as they might be....   I was hearing an interview on NPR this afternoon about the huge number of volunteers fighting the fires and how they would only be reimbursed for wages lost.   I've also been wondering about all the health issues likely to result from all that smoke.    Take care.

Hallo to all; have a good Saturday.

• AQ: Thanks for your two posts to me on Page 9. I appreciate the information. On any subject, the U.S. media's news coverage reflects the perspective of the corporations who own them. I've been following the news about Australia today (in addition to the U.S.-Iran developments). I feel so sorry for you and your OH having to breathe all that dangerous smoke and endure that heat. Protect your lungs in every possible way, AQ. I wish you, your family, and your country the best possible outcome. I hope conditions change for the better immediately.

• Good Morning. News today that temps in Australia are lowering slightly. I agree with AQ that it's not all cut & dried, and not simple: one thing affects another. Also, I've been puzzled here by people being proud of having electric cars -- I know they don't have emissions the same as petrol or diesel engines, but where does the power come from? Power stations......

Still dark here but we're up and getting ready to travel south once again. We call into a very pleasant park once we reach the town where our family live, and give Bonnie a run about. Then we repeat that after we leave them and before we get back onto the motorway.
  • p.s. We have both noticed that we have to be extra careful now when out and about, as the new electric cars are very quiet, so no good relying on your hearing when preparing to step off the pavement! Beware!
  • Lindy, your final comment made me smile. When I was in Shanghai last year (last year!!!) all the vehicles were electric. It was lovely not to have the constant traffic noise, and the air quality was great. But crossing the road had to be approached in an entirely different way if you valued your life!
  • Lindybird:  Your question about electric vehicles' power sources got me wondering so I Googled it and found this: https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/reducing-pollution-electric-vehicles.  We learn all kinds of things on this thread!  :-)     And yes, electric vehicles are very stealthy.   Hope trip south is easy with no back ups...

Diane: I agree that network and cable news outlets rarely give anything other than a 15-second 'headline' re issues, but do like NPR and the PBS News Hour - which I think do a good job of presenting both sides (the former especially).  PBS seems to pick up a lot of reports and video from the UK's ITN .  There's also an occasional News Hour segment I really like - the Under-Told Stories Project from the University of St Thomas in Minnesota, which is typically reported by Fred de Sam Lazaro.  

Must do something constructive today.......

Take care all.

• I don't remember when I last opened my computer - been picking up world news on BBC channel 231. Got all the decorations down and away in the loft - and OH cleaned the lounge room - but shall probably find card glitter in the carpets till about September. Beginning to feel like a normal Saturday, with normal food and knowing it is a normal Sunday tomorrow. J has two training days before the kids return to school on Wednesday. He will have to get out a bit early Tuesday as he has made an optician appt to get an up-to-date lens prescription before his pre-op appt at the hospital on Wednesday - he will request a half-day for that. No date for the actual op yet. He seems in good spirits this weekend. OH and I are mostly taking turns at coughing - except it was both of us during the night, so very little sleep.

I am hoping the three of us will get to church tomorrow, but some rain is possible and I can't be enthusiastic about sitting in a wet wheelchair!
  • Back in one piece after good journeys both ways: saw signs on the gantries warning that the M1 south of us was completely closed due to an 'event' -- this turned out to be a major crash with two deaths, so it's sobering to travel on motorways today.

Going off to find my mobile (I'm on the tablet at the moment) so that I can post some pics........
  • RSPB in its wisdom won't let me sign in, on my mobile.. .. <sigh>