'FORUM FRIENDS, WILDLIFE-FROM-WHEREVER' (Off-season, all cams off at Loch Garten)

OK I'll start this off. Czech Republic jays and a red squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsXWkp1_BM

• I just posted the above after realising I might have got carried away and that it might get disappeared into the moderation ether.

I've had a phase of internet dropouts, resulting in many, many small files, it's wearing me out so I'll take a break.

GARDENBIRDER -  you were mentioning competition recently so I thought of you when I found this short video on Cornell's site - from this cam earlier in the year - female Hairy Woodpecker vs Blue Jay - and the smaller bird prevailed!  (No birds were hurt...)

• I'm going to BOPS myself if I'm not careful Persevere

Unknown - help please?

• Wow, real fisticuffs! I suppose the Christmas decs were not really essential. Shame though. At least they got placed elsewhere, (or were the others duplicates)

Love the Grouse, what a lovely bird. And the Meadow Lark –what a lovely coloured breast (pics for Zilpha me thinks  ) Precious ‘’wren’’ and certainly pretty Skunk and very pretty Blue Jay

Finch Downey Woody P and Cardinal make such a lovely picture. Can’t help with birdie in last video, sorry,  but he/she is very attractive. Love the barred breast.

What a feast for the eyes on this miserable looking morning here where I am. Very many thanks Scylla. You’ve cheered me up no end.
  • scylla said:

Unknown - help please?

============================

A YouTuber has responded "Juvenile northern shrike? Explains why all the other birds fled - it was hunting them."

That's only the second shrike I've seen on cams, the first was SW Florida bald eagles' tree a few years ago.

• Interesting, Scylla. After a bit of research, I came to the same conclusion, possibly an immature Northern Shrike. I wrote to my US birder friend and await confirmation, but I expect that is correct, while I am also open to any expert's view.

Kind regards, Ann

• Esp for CIRRUS - a couple of Hellgate Ravens in close-up, courtesy of CornelLab:

• Unknown said:
    I wrote to my US birder friend and await confirmation

Thank you for taking the trouble, GARDENBIRDER Blush  There's another response on YT in support of the shrike.

Prevailing upon the kindness and patience here... Wink

Another ID request - I was casually doing the "first in" on the Ohio ground feeder and realised that the Northern Cardinals make the tiniest, tiniest cheeps:

Then to compare Ken Little's cam in Alabama, the same birdie was in first but the sound is really poor there and I can't enhance it any more.

At 17 seconds there was a very familiar not-warble, so frustrating that I can't remember where I know it from:

In Minnesota and NYC the Chickadee was first in - no sound noticed:

• I'm offline due to electrician's arrival.
  • Golly, the shrike doesn't look big enough to be hunting the birdies that were feeding !

The cardinals sound so like gold crests and fire crests ! especially at a distance when their call is quieter.

Oh I love my raven video. thank you so very very much Scylla - definitely one to send Zilpha .
  • scylla said:
    a couple of Hellgate Ravens in close-up, courtesy of CornelLab:

LOVED this thanks scylla.