'FORUM FRIENDS, WILDLIFE-FROM-WHEREVER' (Off-season, all cams off at Loch Garten)

OK I'll start this off. Czech Republic jays and a red squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsXWkp1_BM

• Oh heck, just closed browser without posting... what did I post? ... ???

Best guesses:

======

Boreal Ontario

27 Jan

28 Jan

2 birds offering vocals - how much singsong do I miss, scrolling thru with no sound? Sleepy

Grosbeak chirped several times:

Gray Jay chittered to itself just like my dear departed budgie used to:

Daisy Duck seems to be going along routinely.

IMAGICAT

• SWFEC - The eaglets' eyes have been looking a bit gungy/crusty/swollen/closed for a day or so, I'm pleased that swift action has been taken.

'E17 and E18 have been removed from the nest by CROW for rehab., treatment and hopeful re-nesting asap. They did confirm a possible infection and have worked with the local/national authorities for approval.'

• SWFEC - Photos showing the eaglets being removed from the nest here 

M15 was the adult watching and returning to the nest

• Oh no. I hope they can be returned healthy soon
  • Live camera from CROW of the vets assessing the eaglets

sorry, that only worked for a nano-second!

here's some photos from CROW's Facebook page. The chicks eyes do look mucky

(c)  CROW

• Thanks Korky. I do hope they're treated for whatever the problem is and that they are returned to the nest ASAP, it looks so empty. I do feel for H and M15 at the moment.
    Yesterday I saw E18 with one of its eyes closed and a bit of dried 'gunge' on the side of its beak (could have been fish 'juice' from feeding?) and then E17 with the same thing, I did wonder if some of the nesting material was to blame or even they'd hurt each other with their recent rivalries.
    Fingers crossed for a happy outcome here.

• Sandra, I saw someone mention suspected avian flu. Apparently it's treatable. Also, someone reminded folk that E9 was removed for medical treatment back in 2016 and away for 3 days but returned successfully to its siblings. Hopefully, Harriet and M15 will thole the chicks' absence and return!

• Many thanks for that, Korky!
  • Update from CROW on E17 & E18 from the Southwest Florida Eagle Cam.  (Facebook page)

Our veterinarians have completed the exam on the two eaglets. Both of the eaglets eyes were crusty and partially closed, but they were reported to be well fed and otherwise in good shape. They were unable to determine an exact cause for their eye condition as of yet, but swabs were taken for testing.
    After the eyes were cleaned, both eaglets received antibiotic and anti-inflammatory eyes drops. They were then transferred to our rehabilitation team and given a feeding. Their eyes will continue to be monitored for improvement as they receive more feeds. At this time, we do not have a timeline for their return to the nest, but hope to be able to do so as soon as possible.
    We will continue to post further updates right here. We also want to thank everyone who has reached out with their kind words of support and donations! If you would like to donate to support CROW's mission and work to save wildlife, you can do so through this post or on our website (www.CROWClinic.org).

(c) CROW

• Aww, they look so much better already going by the photos and there's certainly nothing wrong with their appetites! Hoping that a short course of eye drops is all that is needed. Thanks again, Korky, for the update.