'FORUM FRIENDS, WILDLIFE-FROM-WHEREVER' (Off-season, all cams off at Loch Garten)

OK I'll start this off. Czech Republic jays and a red squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsXWkp1_BM

• I wonder if the scary snowman put the deer off his stride
  • The snowman was given feather wings but they soon blew off:

I can't get a really good snap of the Jay, despite multi-appearances - this cam seems "different" this season from last.

Anyway, here's an impressive snippet:

In order to keep its plumage free from parasites, it lies on top of anthills with spread wings and lets its feathers be sprayed with formic acid.

• Very clever bird. and a nice portrait. Thanks Scylla
  • scylla said:
    I can't get a really good snap of the Jay, despite multi-appearances - this cam seems "different" this season from last.

I think the snow is affecting the camera exposure. It's exposing for the bright white of the snow and therefore underexposing for the basket area making it seem dark.

It has been a bit disappointing this year. No Hawfinches visiting so far - they were regulars last year. However, a Treecreeper has been visiting recently. Now there's a challenge for you to get a snap of that, Scylla.

• Daisy Duck and the Sea Eagle - Update:

Daisy is sitting on her eggs as I type Hugging

• The stork at the front moved out of shot right after this:

Dear Daisy Duck gets displaced again...

...is more damage done this time?  Anyway, she stoically returns and remains undisturbed (except for a bird visitor I can't ID) until 13:30, which is now!

• It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out, poor Mrs Duck and the Eagles who must be a bit bewildered also.
  • It seems our Pacific Black Duck is far from a typical mama:

Pacific Black Ducks usually breed between June and September, which coincides with the availability of food and water and often occurs where there have been heavy rains and waterways are at their peak. Females will instigate courtship by displaying preening, bobbing and wing-flapping behaviours. They lay anywhere from 7 to 12 eggs and often two broods can be laid in one year. The female will incubate her eggs for 26-30 days. Ducklings hatch with their eyes open, covered with down and they can swim and walk – but they always remain safely by their parents near the nest. Pacific Black Ducks usually nest near water, with their nests hidden in tall grasses or rushes. They also sometimes nest in hollowed trees and like to line their nests with grass and feathers.

©BirdLife Australia

There are lots of lovely photos on their Facebook page one of which is a trio of stunning little Black Grasswrens:

Would the ducklings (if any ever hatch!) be able to tumble safely down from such a height?

When I checked in a few hours ago Daisy was on her eggs and had been for a few hours, I need to do a full catchup but can't yet.