Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 November 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• I've never had a tablet but have had a succession of laptops, which I use for everything. Wouldn't be without it! There was a very good reason why I didn't get a tablet, but right now I can't remember what it was!
  • Lindy: What happens when you try to access this site on the Fire tablet? You said that you can't get this site on it, but what actually happens? Does it give you an error message?
  • I can't speak for LINDY of course, but the only time I see the error 503 (or is it 530?) is on my PC. On my Kindles, the only time that I can't access sites is if my internet has dropped out and the Kindle has switched itself to BT Fon ( whatever that is!). Then I get a screen display telling me that my connection is not private or safe.
  • Heather: I wondered whether Lindy is getting the 503 error or she's experiencing a different, unrelated problem that's keeping her from accessing the site from her tablet.

A 503 error is a "Service Unavailable" error--a server problem. It means that the RSPB server is unable to handle your request to access the site. Often, a 503 error happens because a website server is simply too busy to handle the number of people trying to enter the site. Or the server is under maintenance.

However, a 503 can also happen if the server doesn't recognize the site address (the pathway) that you're using to access the site. There are several ways that people can get to our Loch Garten forum (where our Weekly Chat threads are). If you're getting 503 errors, you may be using a bookmark or favorite that the server no longer recognizes. Or you may be using a link that the server no longer accepts. Try deleting your bookmark/favorite and making a new one. Or use a different link to get into the website.

HERE is the link that I use. It goes directly to this Loch Garten forum, rather than the main Community section. It might help folks access the site, but that's just a guess. I don't really know what's happening.

• Yes, I get the 593 error message.

I'll go on my tablet and try your link, Diane...
  • I think you are right, DIANE. On my PC the chat page is listed on my favourites list and has been for years. I'll do as you suggest. On my Fire tablets I'm regularly clearing things and have to regularly re- bookmark favourite sites.
    The other thing that I have noticed is that if I don't exit properly ie closing the chat page itself, I get an orange error message when I go in the next time. Sometimes I'm in a hurry or tired and just close the browser. Hope you can understand me, I'm not very techy, as you know!
  • Heather: I don't pretend to be an expert. That server stuff is above my pay grade. LOL! I was just thinking about it and thought I'd try to help. 

Here's the link that I use--in long form: 

https://community.rspb.org.uk/placestovisit/lochgartenospreys/f/loch-garten-ospreys

• Morning all:

Diane: That's exactly what I did about a week back when I was getting the 503 message - deleted old RSPB 'favorite' after Googling RSPB Weekly Chat and bookmarking the new link. Sorry folks, I didn't connect the dots in previous exchanges re 503 messages..

We are expecting some good rainfall next week.  November is the start of our alleged rainy season, so it would be nice to see things back to 'normal' this year.  OH and I shall be out inspecting gutters this weekend thanks to our Chinese Elm, which sheds all over the neighborhood.  We do have gutter-guards, but only in the worst areas.   I bought more and planned to install them before Fall, but I see they're still sitting on the shelf in the garage.  Best-laid plans and all that....   :-(