Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 October 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

Sunday the 13th is the full Hunter's Moon. It occurs just a few days after reaching apogee, the farthest point in the moon's orbit from earth. So, this will be "smallest" full moon of the year 2019. However, because of the point and direction that it will rise, some sources said that it will appear large and orange!

Everyone have a wonderful week. My area had its first frost of the season last night!

• Annette: That video is astonishing! Just a mile up the road isn't very far. Are you afraid now that you're getting increasing numbers of reports in your area? I think they're very elusive, and they almost never pose a threat. Thanks for posting the video. I found it to be very interesting. (I didn't have any trouble with the video play.)

OG: I'm so very sorry about your adored osprey puzzle. I hope it can be repaired.
  • LINDA – That poor woman lost near Sedan was very lucky. No creeks, only isolated shacks as weekenders. There were SES teams on foot, police horses and concerned locals searching but she had wandered 7 km, further than expected. She found some water at the uninhabited shacks and was so lucky that one shack had CCTV and the owner noticed her SOS. These Google map coords -34.56, 139.37 give an idea of the country.

I just checked weather for Naracoorte tomorrow, 15 and showers, overnight 5, Sunday 17. I’ve replaced pjs with thicker and found raincoat. Mud maps & notes completed, camera charged & so am I. Last bus trip until March or April.

• Enjoy your trip, AQ!
    OG - sad about the mishap, I expect the cleaner feels awful, too. I know that I would, in her place.
    LINDY - When I was in Elgin yesterday I noticed many gardens had hardy fuchsias looking so good. Also some fantastic shrub roses.
    ANNETTE - well, it comes to us all, organising the garden to make for less work. I wish that my sis in law would think ahead in that way. She is still 'creating'.

I know that there are other replies in my head but they have gone, for the moment!
  • Good Morning. Sunny start here. My OH has just taken Ruby for her MOT and walked back home (it's within walking distance but he wouldn't take up my offer of us both going, and my driving him back)

AQ - I see you're all ready to go. Have a good trip! Hope it's not too showery.
  • No! The cleaner did not feel awful - OH told her it didn't matter - at that stage he hadn't seen that it was broken, so she just thinks she only dropped it and the pieces scattered. We put it together lying flat last evening (including one piece which we found still on the floor which she was supposed to have cleaned!) It is the stand which is broken, so even if we glue it, it won't take the weight of the outspread wings to stand up again. Grrr!

Sorry about the rant - I suppose I am being obsessive about it. I am going to try again to remember the name of the guy who made it, in the hope of ordering a replacement!
  • OG - so sorry to hear about the broken osprey stand. It was obviously a much-loved ornament. I seem to remember something about these items from Loch of the Lowes - or am I dreaming? I do hope you manage to replace it. A person who may be able to help - he seems to know everything - is Mike. I'm sure you will have come across him on other threads.

The sun's shining here at the moment - after about a week of solid rain. I am off with a friend for an exciting outing on Monday, so hope the weather will get better. It's a lot of 'outdoors', so we really need the sunshine!
  • OG -- Sorry it's worse than I thought. You're quite entitled to be very upset, it's not obsessive at all to be grieving for a much loved ornament, as Pat says. I hope you can find a replacement. {{HUGS}}
  • Thanks folks! It was a local Farmers' Market purchase, so not sold at one of the Osprey venues that we all know and love! The man who makes them has also been at several craft fairs around the villages in the past, but not all of these are accessible to me these days, and its always possible he has retired or even died, as he was not a young man..

Good weather here so I politely suggested that, with nothing urgent listed for this afternoon, OH could finish emptying the greenhouse to be ready to put delicate plants in at the first sign of frost! Dahlias usually survive wrapped with fleece and stood against the house wall, but geraniums and fuchsias need to go inside - as well as some of the herbs.

We are in one of the areas chosen for the rehearsal for the 2021 Scottish Census. I have completed the general "head count" and my own details, and finally persuaded OH to answer his personal questions; now I need to get J to do his bit. I hope the actual Census will be less "long-winded"!
  • We've had news today that our financial woes are not going to be sorted for at least another three weeks - we just waited the last two weeks for news. So this is on top of that! Very disappointing.

Also, we have been trying to do some damage limitation of something which has happened within the family which has been very upsetting all round. Nothing to do with health, thank goodness, but it has affected a lot of people and has had an ongoing effect.
  • Sorry about the family upsets, LINDA. Hope you can calm things down!