Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 September 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

Everyone have a great week!

• Oh yes, I remember all of those. And what about 'Quinquereme of Ninevah from distant Ophir' ... especially the 'dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke-stack'. Amazing how we can remember these poems from all those years ago when we had them drummed into us at school. Funny I can remember those, but have problems with theorems and where some countries are! Guess it's because I always enjoyed English but didn't like maths and geography.
  • Good Morning. Dry here but rain threatened for later this morning: not going out!

Both slept like logs after our busy couple of days. I also had a new sheet underneath me which is stretchy, but cuddly like velvet, gorgeous.

Annette, sounds like you had it worked out: the salad with wine accompanying was a good idea! Have a pleasant journey for the last leg.

Pat, I used to love the "salt caked smoke stack" but don't know the "Quinquereme" one. I loved English and geography was OK. I would have enjoyed history, too, if we'd had a decent teacher but she was boring. Maths ----- ugh.
  • Heather: You've got a lovely family there, and it says a lot that your step children are all still close with everyone, and obviously fond of you.

Have a well deserved rest, now.
  • Lindy - It's the same poem. 'Cargoes', by John Masefield. I think it was the teacher that put me off geography, because I'm fascinated by it now. I was fortunate with teachers of both history and English. I got on quite well with the maths teacher - but still couldn't understand what she was talking about! My brain seems to accept words and notes (music) but can't cope with figures!
  • I must have forgotten the poem after the first verse, then, Pat :-)

My brain just won't do figures either - when we had our children, I was interested to see what they'd favour, as my OH is a figures man, loves maths but is not into words (although he likes reading thrillers). Our two boys both take after him in that respect, and have "mathematical" jobs. I love, love, music and couldn't live without it!

Wild weather, here. Rain and buffeting wind. Supposed to calm down by lunchtime,
    so we can go for a walk this afternoon. Meanwhile, my OH is going to dust the ceilings and pelmets, and I'm going to wash my extensive shell collection!

OG -- -- By the way,the cruise we booked recently is for Spring 2021!!! So quite a wait to go, yet.
  • I need music as well, Lindy. Mainly classical. with Beethoven and Bach at the top of the list. Orchestral, choral, chamber etc. It still gets to me in quiz shows when the 'music' questions are all pop stuff, about which I know much less than nothing!
  • Aah – Cargoes, brings back distant memories. As soon I saw it I just recited the whole poem to my surprise! This may have helped me as memory loss is, unfortunately a major symptom of statin toxicity and this gives me a lot of hope that I can drag out more distant memories. It is difficult to determine what sort of memory, for example I went round the corner to the shop this morning and found myself heading to the pub and wondering why! Another problem I am now aware of is the area of mental arithmetic. I used to be good at it yet I have trouble working out timings on the clock when there are two things in the oven with different timings and when to put them in the oven. This loss is impossible to predict whether it is temporary or permanent.
    On a different note weather here is unpredictable as it won't read the forecast!
  • Weather in the UK is a law unto itself, FB!

My OH and I are both finding that we forget things daily, now. It's sometimes amusing, sometimes annoying.
  • Pat, I love nearly all music!! - just as likely to be playing some Elgar in the car, as some Amy Winehouse or some Adele.... currently I have an American Classics CD in the car which features Sinatra and Nat King Cole. But my favourite classical is mainly opera.

Been doing our cleaning jobs. Here's some more trivia in the form of a pic of the shelf in the main bedroom here: collected knick knacks and shells, plus a photo I took here, of a sunset:

• The sun came out mid afternoon, so we drove to the nearest bit of coast with big 'rollers" coming in. Walked along the front there, and Bonnie enjoyed snuffling and sniffing around.