Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 25 August 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SUPER NEW MOON (FRIDAY)

I hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful, happy week. It's almost autumn, and night is coming earlier now. I'm seeing nature signs that indicate it's going to be a harsh winter here.

• Pat, you're probably right. Best to take it easy for at least 24 hours.

OG -- Oh, dear. Not good. Thinking of you.
  • Been for one of our favourite walks: the heather & wildflowers look exceptionally good today, but there was sea mist over the hills so bad visibility for distances.

Here is the heather:

• Have tried for half an hour to post my photo.... <sigh>

___ by the way, I remember Phoebe the hummingbird, too!!
  • Heather - Yes, it did start suddenly. And yes, I'm drinking gallons! Which is really flushing through the system!!! I am a little more interested in an ice cream this afternoon ... is this a good sign? I think so! Hopefully one more 'nothing' day tomorrow will knock it on the head.
  • PAT - good that you are fancying ice cream!
    LINDY - a pest about not being able to post a picture.
    I've been outside again, observed lots of garden spiders sitting in their webs. I'm so tempted to brush them away....
    DIANE - I googled wolf spiders . Rather you than me! We had Spidergate when Katie was staying over the weekend before last. Not good. I'd had the bedroom window open. The rowan trees in gardens round about me are loaded with berries. Said to be a sign of a hard winter to come.
  • Good point, PAT - thanks. I remember now, they didn't have the whole hospital open at Bank Hols - when he had his radiotherapy 30 years ago the hols for Easter, May Day and Late Spring made it last seven weeks instead of six. Sorry about the heat stroke - do take care for a few days!
  • Morning all:

Diane:  Don't like the sound of those storms at all as you've already had damage to the house and had to shut part of it off and, of course, stop-gap measures only last so long.   I know you must be thinking about options.....   We don't get too many spiders coming in during our so-called winter; just the globe spiders spinning gorgeous webs that you walk into first thing in the morning.  :-(

OG:  It's a bank holiday there, right?  So I imagine it's hard to contact anyone, but this is really too much. Is there no one who can advocate for you in terms of getting answers?   I can't imagine how John - or you or EE - are coping with this.  I'm exasperated and I'm not even the one waiting for the call!  Grrrr.

Heather: Is this a funding/pay issue with the NHS?   Where are the newly minted docs going - or coming from for that matter?  Are they going into private practice?  I know the E.R. at my sister's local hospital shut down last year due to lack of funding.  We certainly ration care here (as in 'if you can't afford it, you don't get it'), but I wonder how our politicians advocating a single-payer system would put that into practice here and if they've considered any unintended consequences.  

PatO:  Heatstroke is not something to mess with.  Does your friend recommend anything?  Water with electrolytes, etc?  Do take care.

Lindybird:  Arghhhh.  Are the people next door staying over tonight too?  If so, perhaps your OH could have a chat, though it sounds like they're a bit clueless to start off with. Good luck.  

Well now that I've delivered unsolicited opinions to all and sundry, it's time I got off my soapbox and mind my own business.  :-)    OH will sleep in today - he didn't come home till gone midnight as he was keeping our friend's ailing OH company while she went off for a much-deserved outing to an event in L.A..  I ended up waiting for him to get home   The YMCA gym/pool is closed for a week for its annual hose down/spruce up now that all the kids' summer camps/activities are done for the year and our Tai Chi instructors are holding the class under the trees in a local park, but it's already really warm out so not sure if I'll go...

Take care all.

• People next door have been here since our 1st night. Still here now, & we're going home tomorrow morning...sigh. They seem to be friends of the owners. My OH slammed the bedroom window shut at 2.30 in the morning, trying to hint that they were being noisy, but they took no notice.
  • LINDYBIRD: Slamming, etc., never seems to work, they probably didn't even notice. Is there no "quiet time" at the park? How about approaching them with Big Smile (blech) and mention how voices carry So Well at night and could they please keep it down after, say 10:30? Not something I'd relish doing either, but... If you did that, and they didn't take any notice, you could possibly get in touch with owners (assuming you've met them and they seem reasonable) and say very nicely that the friends were up pretty much All Night and perhaps they might want to be aware of that? Failing that, is there someone on site - a manager? - you could call in as back up? Are any other neighbors affected? Really do sympathize with you; that's the kind of thing that would drive me straight up the wall.

Just back from Tai Chi, which was pleasant - a breeze came up and and we were under trees so it was comfortable.

• Good evening everyone. We have been to a village in Oxfordshire for a friend's Golden Wedding celebrations.
    We stayed in the venue hotel for the weekend for a break, as we had not been away from home for some time, due to OH's health problems.
    It was lovely occasion. It was warm, but the lunch was held in a venue near the river, so we could use the outside space in the shade of trees.

Not a good day for some on here. Very much sympathise about the noisy neighbours, Lindy. They sound inconsiderate and selfish. Very difficult to know what best to do. Sorry they have spoiled your break.

A difficult time for OG and family also. Like others here, I hope for some communication for J tomorrow.

I hope PAT is feeling better now, and soon able to resume normal activities. Could well be the heat. Annette has a point
    about electrolytes. Feeling like eating ice cream can't be bad.

Hello to Heather and Diane and everyone else. I will also google wolf spiders when I feel strong enough!