Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 25 August 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SUPER NEW MOON (FRIDAY)

I hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful, happy week. It's almost autumn, and night is coming earlier now. I'm seeing nature signs that indicate it's going to be a harsh winter here.

• Quietly having breakfast when THUD CRASH BANG. Demolition on house over back fence began at 7.20 am. We had the noise all yesterday. At every THUD, our house shudders as it is built on a concrete slab. Late yesterday we noticed a large tree in their backyard being demolished. A magpie lark sat on the fence watching intently. Had they nested there? So far the peach tree in the corner remains – it is the lorikeets & rosellas feasting tree.

• AQ: Any chance you could rescue the peach tree? :-) Hate to see trees come down....
  • Lindy and AQ: Don't read the following.

Rosy/Heather/Annette: My spider was one of the Hogna genus of wolf spider. (I'm not sure which species. I keep changing my mind when I look at photos of different types.) The species in this genus are the largest of the wolf spiders. Mine was about the size of the palm of my hand, including body and legs. Its eyes reflected the light of my flashlight (torch), which produced eyeshine and made it look like its eyes were glowing. Seriously. LOL!!! They aren't aggressive, but they will bite if really provoked or startled. If they bite, they're venomous and will make a decent-sized welt, which burns, itches, and lasts quite a while like a wasp sting. I was bitten in the spring, and I just put a little Benadryl on it. It's not that bad. I won't insert a photo, because I know some folks are afraid of them. 

• Diane: I also Googled them. Wonder why the sight of them causes such revulsion in some people.... Some ancient threat that made its way in our genes? :-))

• ANNETTE – I watched the peach tree being destroyed while I was on phone to Dau. She has a very bad cold and has cancelled tomorrow’s nanny duty. I did offer if she was worse to do the school pickup. As she said, it is a long way to drive for just that. Today is a kindy day, so I ordered her to set alarm and go back to bed until pm.

• AQ: That's awful about the peach tree. Folks currently are selling newly ripe peaches at our Farmers' Markets. I thought I'd buy some the next time I'm in town. Hope your daughter gets well soon.

Annette: Everybody is afraid of something, I reckon. I can handle a spider. I hand feed the old groundhog carrots. I'm not afraid of the coyotes. But I still get anxiety-ridden to the point of nausea when I must drive the car. I have no choice but to do it (nobody else will get my groceries and run my errands LOL!), so I drive, but I hate it. Fear of spiders is much more rational than my fear of driving.

I had an uncle who "lived hard, died young, and made a good-lookin' corpse" (the Indiana expression we use for people who live reckless lives). He drank, ran hard drugs, gambled, philandered with married women, and fought his share of bar fights. He was fearless in his dangerous life, except that he was utterly terrified of spiders.

• OG: Very interesting about the Fishermen's church. I didn't realize that the Solway is so dangerous, but I can see how it would be. Thinking of you tonight.
  • Diane:  Well that's difficult - being uncomfortable driving.  Were you always so apprehensive?  Maybe it's time to consider a studio apartment close near a grocery store in a larger town  :-)

AQ:  Well pooh to people who chop down peach trees.

Rosy: Sounds like a good weekend away.

Lynette: Forgot to say Happy Anniversary for last Sunday!  :-)

Fingers crossed Lindybird and OH had a decent night's sleep and that OG and family get some news from the docs.  

• Had a better night last nIght, thanks, Annette. Only two of the three adults sat out until midnight, and then talked in low murmers. On the other hand, the young people on the opposite side, who had been quiet, went home and then were replaced by another young couple. After darkness, they were joined by three more adults, with canoes and bicycles on the car roof, and lots of greetings were exchanged. They all seemed to get up early this morning, even though they arrived relatively late. :-)

Sunshine now, and we're packing up for home.
  • ps I hate spiders so much I can't even look at pictures of them. My mother used to shriek when she saw one, so I think she conditioned me.