LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - AUGUST 2019

Link to July 2019 thread 

The 2 chicks were ringed on 4 July and assessed as female. They were given ring numbers JJ0 and JJ2, and later named by popular vote as Mallie and Rannoch. Both weighed 1.49kg on ringing but will weigh a lot more now after a further month's-worth of protein-packed-piscine-parenting.  The WT subsequently said they thought Mallie may be male. S/he fledged on 20 July and Rannoch on 27 July.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• Trying said:
    According to a facebook report by Liz, the robin also visited the nest around 05-30am before daycam came alive

I didn't start catchup until 05:46 because I'd had "An error occurred" on a black screen for hours until I manually refreshed it :(((

IMAGICAT

• Continued from 16:30

I've just checked back and found that my sound went off @ 15:49.  I've got an awful feeling it's "just me" :(

Rannoch continued to "own" the fish and ended up driving Mallie from the nest:

And half-an-hour later flew with the fish:

Then!

She flew off without eating any first:

Rannoch returned with her fish still clutched:

She stayed, eating.

2 snaps the moments before she flew with what was left, as I can't choose between them:

She returned for a few minutes of pottering:

As did Mallie:

Screeching before flying - she can screech all she likes, there's still no sound :-/

Then the flyers:

Then the rain:

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I've just checked back and found that my sound went off @ 15:49.  I've got an awful feeling it's "just me" :(

A Windows Update has brought back my sound.  Sorry everyone for the missing screeches in the aforegoing :'(

IMAGICAT

• A juvie just called nearby - I think it's on the campost now.

IMAGICAT

• A juvie eventually landed on the nest and has been calling constantly, accompanied by another I think.

I am very distracted because of my incredible sound problem - I say "incredible" because it seems to be recording the sound of a barn owl from another laptop, there's no possibility that there's any owl on the same laptop as Arkaig. My head is in pieces.

EDIT

Panic over !!!  I had added improved audio on a different nest video and the setting was still at "Audio from another file...".  In my defence, this editor is rather complex, with lots of settings one would never use, I've done very well considering ;)

IMAGICAT

• Right!  Now to recover some of what I've been hearing but couldn't play back!

Entitled "Can we hear deer out there in the dark?  Or is it TRYING waking up?"

IMAGICAT

• It seems that Mallie must have been on the campost while Rannoch was on 'n off the nest:

IMAGICAT

• Someone's just come back to the campost, I think.

IMAGICAT

• Long-term tapping and scraping on the campost with vocal accompaniments. No-one seen.

IMAGICAT

• A screecher has arrived on the nest...

IMAGICAT