LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - AUGUST 2019

Link to July 2019 thread 

The 2 chicks were ringed on 4 July and assessed as female. They were given ring numbers JJ0 and JJ2, and later named by popular vote as Mallie and Rannoch. Both weighed 1.49kg on ringing but will weigh a lot more now after a further month's-worth of protein-packed-piscine-parenting.  The WT subsequently said they thought Mallie may be male. S/he fledged on 20 July and Rannoch on 27 July.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• 15.55, Louis brings in another fish. Rannoch got the one that Louis brought in as reported by Scylla (at 14.47), Mallie got the one at 15.55. They are currently on the nest eating their respective fish. Ian

EDIT - Louis had originally brought the 14.47 fish onto the nest a few minutes earlier but there were no takers. The fish was still breathing on the nest. After waiting a minute or so, Louis flew off with the fish then returned once Rannoch was about.

• Whole-day CATCHUP :o

First the Robin and it's "companions" - I tried to make it clearer but the LBJ doesn't match the RSPB's illustration of a juvie closely enough for me to say that's what it is - after all, it might be a coupla weeks older and look different, or it might be a different bird.  CIRRUS ??? !!!

Then I think a pair of Wrens on the right edge, just briefly.

Our sibs visited, this is Mallie on the left, she left soon after this snap:

Rannoch stayed much longer, shouting and snoozing in turn, until this point:

10:06 she was back creating for a minute, then back in time to catch the next FISH:

Mallie was too late by a few seconds but made an impact:

Rannoch finished the fish quite quickly:

Hung around before flying off:

Mallie waited in vain, also looking up at the campost:

Both waiting again, Mallie waited longer:

(Got a Windows Update notification, might as well do it now... So many things to shut down, dang!)

IMAGICAT

• All-day CATCHUP continued...

Rannoch waiting:

Louis with flounder that no-one came for:

Next time Rannoch was waiting:

Then Mallie arrived:

Mallie waited and waited but there was no relenting from Rannoch...

Then Louis brought in a small flounder which Mallie gratefully grabbed:

After eating for a while, Mallie flew with fish:

Rannoch ate her fish on the nest, right down to the last skin 'n tail:

Soon Mallie was back on the nest for several minutes looking for scraps?  Nothing found, s/he left...

...But back in time to collect a half-FISH from Louis:

She ate it all under Rannoch' disapproving gaze ;)

Tried unsuccessfully to sort a stick she'd got tangled with, then flew:

Rannoch waited longer, flew.  No more nest visits.

Soon after, still proper daycam, it started to rain, I could see the nest material jumping.

Suddenly the mist came in - and the rain had stopped when it cleared:

A new flyer - drifter, I should say:

I have bypassed YouTube's "age restricted" category but viewers should be aware of possible X-rated content:

It's been raining heavily but isn't right now.

IMAGICAT

• Juvie on the nest mantling and shouting.

IMAGICAT

• I still haven't checked who this is:

IMAGICAT

• It was Rannoch who landed mantling and shouting:

Eventually she flew off in an arty smudge:

But not far, she was back as soon as Mallie landed:

Mallie sorted the stick that beat her yesterday:

By 06:09 they were both gone.

I'm off too now, SYAL :)

IMAGICAT

• Louis delivers a whole fish to Mallie who continues to scream!
  • scylla said:

I have bypassed YouTube's "age restricted" category but viewers should be aware of possible X-rated content:

www.youtube.com/watch

Well captured scylla. In a constant quest for knowledge, I tried and failed to find the species of beetle. Nearest I got was a carpet beetle. Any ideas, bug-experts?

• Windy, waiting

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• 11.40 (ish) Rannoch is on the nest, Louis brings in a nice whole fish & nearly loses a toe in the process. Ian