LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - AUGUST 2019

Link to July 2019 thread 

The 2 chicks were ringed on 4 July and assessed as female. They were given ring numbers JJ0 and JJ2, and later named by popular vote as Mallie and Rannoch. Both weighed 1.49kg on ringing but will weigh a lot more now after a further month's-worth of protein-packed-piscine-parenting.  The WT subsequently said they thought Mallie may be male. S/he fledged on 20 July and Rannoch on 27 July.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• Continuing catchup

Another fish from Louis:

Whatever did Rannoch fly in with?!  See below.

Mallie flew in with her fish, how nice to see them both happy ;)

Three fish left on the nest, including the Mallie's flounder that Rannoch must have flown in with:

Rannoch returned for her fish:

I do hope that Aila will favour us again... the views of her here are disappointing, she didn't stay to pose Stuck out tongue winking eye

Mallie ate some of the fish, dscarding some innards, and then flew with it:

I thought the fish had weighed her down, she dipped here but then re-emerged and flew off as arrowed:

Rannoch was torn between the innards and the leftover flounder:

Louis with a shiny fresh flounder!

Rannoch took a few bites over quite a period and then flew with the flounder:

There was an intruder episode, I have looked for clarification on the WT page but it seems no-one has been able to get a clear view.

It's at the top left, flying away:

Soon Mallie arrived looking for fish - that inspired Rannoch to tuck into her fish with gusto! ;)  Then Mallie started on a leftover and it may be that the intruder was spotted again, under a threatening sky:

They'd both flown by 19:40 but a couple of minutes later Mallie had to return to collect yet another flounder from Louis!

She ate until 20:09 when she flew off with it in the same direction as the earlier arrowy pic.

No further osprey visits to nest.

No ID for these fascinating flyers yet *sigh*

IMAGICAT

• I think there have been 6 fish today - I mean on Saturday the 10th.

IMAGICAT

• ENS and scrolling back it appears, as Scylla says, there has been no one there all night,
  • No sure whether Rannoch found a scrap or whether Louis bought it At one point on scroll back Rannoch was mantling over her fish and a bird was flying off in the distance but I couldn't pinpoint an actual delivery. Rannoch was quietly enjoying her meal when Maillie came late to the feast

A moment ago Rannoch allowed Maillie to gently take the last piece of the fish fromher

C WT Loch Arkaig

• A brief appearance by Rannoch

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• 13.25 Rannoch calling, the rain falling

Shaking the rain off her feathers

and more calling

Quiet, but it didn't last long

I've just noticed the osprey on the 'stick' tree to the left.  It flapped its wings!

© The Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig OP

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• She flew off ca 13.37 and the osprey on the sticky tree to the left flew around 13.45

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Rannoch with a flounder gazing into the distance and has been for some time
  • Catchup from nightcam onwards.

These 3 fishtails (and maybe more, camouflaged) had languished on the nest since yesterday:

First activity of the day was a fish (torn-up flounder) delivery - Rannoch received it, I left it running so you can see/hear her screeching on and on and on, lord knows why:

Mallie arrived and chose one of the spare tails:

Later was allowed to take Rannoch's tailend:

It was just skin 'n fin :(

So Mallie turned to yesterday's innards !!! and Rannoch continued with her leftover skin 'n fin:

Then Rannoch picked at the innards:

Then both picked over the nest before leaving.

Mallie got the next fish uncontested, Louis didn't suffer toe-torture:

Rannoch returned either due to intruder or due to fish anticipation but neither materialised so she downed the skin 'n fin:

Rannoch was back waiting futilely but the second time she was rewarded with another flounder - Louis got his foot grabbed again but it wasn't too traumatic:

It took Rannoch till 16:01 to eat every last scrap of the flounder.

Mallie arrived looking hollow-cropped, Rannoch returned - what a contrast!

They're both still waiting on the nest...

IMAGICAT

• @ 17:03:

scylla said:
    They're both still waiting on the nest...

They waited quite a while and left, Mallie returned for a FISH from Louis, got his toe again but it wasn't too bad:

Rannoch turned up and waited but by 1800 Mallie had finished the fish and they both left.

Back came Rannoch, shouting:

Then Mallie, but she didn't stay long.

Rannoch was jumping about, off then back, then she came back with Mallie on her tail and R managed to get the tiddler from Louis while Mallie was still studying his toes:

Rannoch finished the fish and flew off and back, almost knocking Mallie over:

Both left, Rannoch returned and waited:

She flew @ 21:05 and that was the last we saw of an osprey tonight.

IMAGICAT