LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - AUGUST 2019

Link to July 2019 thread 

The 2 chicks were ringed on 4 July and assessed as female. They were given ring numbers JJ0 and JJ2, and later named by popular vote as Mallie and Rannoch. Both weighed 1.49kg on ringing but will weigh a lot more now after a further month's-worth of protein-packed-piscine-parenting.  The WT subsequently said they thought Mallie may be male. S/he fledged on 20 July and Rannoch on 27 July.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• Rannoch alone on the nest tucking in to fish.
  • Rannoch got the fish eventually as I saw when I first looked in (first picture)

Scroll back shows Maillie alone eating her fish and then Rannoch arrives shouting her protest I couldn't quite find whether Maillie had finished or if Rannoch tookit off ofher

The picture of Maillie alone was just uner half an hour ago

C WT Loch Arkaig

• 13.30-13.34 Rannoch was on the nest, looking eagerly around, and calling occasionally.

A minor strop

and then flew off

I also noticed that they were both on the nest at about 10.30.  Rannoch had retrieved the left over tail fin when Mallie landed and tried to take it.  Rannoch held on to it, and at one point tried to down the piece which was far too big.  She had to drop it and start again using her talons!

ENS 13.38

© The Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig OP

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• 13.30  Rannoch has landed again, calling loudly, mantling and looking above her.  Danger passes!

She flew off, and Mallie returned later.  I could hear her well before she landed!

Mallie flew off 13.58

© The Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig OP

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• CATCHUP

Thank you for the good news this morning, TRYING & PATILY :)  ... and MIKE, I suppose;-*

INTERRUPTION FOR FLOUNDER FOR MALLIE !!!

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

CATCHUP

Thank you for the good news this morning, TRYING & PATILY :)  ... and MIKE, I suppose;-*

INTERRUPTION FOR FLOUNDER FOR MALLIE !!!

Continuing...

Big blurry headless fish for Mallie, who'd anticipated:

When Rannoch arrived she could only look o wistfully:

Until she realised the time was right for an assertive grab, and there was plenty left:

Eventually Rannoch celebrated, showing off her crop, and flew off:

... in a flurry:

Mallie, who'd popped in unaggressively, also flew:

Rannoch whizzed past and touched down shouting, then she did some flouncing and squealing and flew off:

Mallie paid a short shouty visit:

Rannoch flew in:

Found her own leftover:

Mallie flew in very excitedly, thinking there was a new fish:

Checked what Rannoch had, saw it wasn't worth fighting over:

Mallie hung around preening, shouting, pottering, flew off and back again for a short while.

Unseen intruder episodes (which I would have done vids for but the sound is broken up) with the juvies defending fiercely, first Mallie:

Then Rannoch:

Then Rannoch got a flounder from Louis:

Mallie flew in but Rannoch had the fish at the back of the nest and was delightedly flying off 'n on with it.

First return:

Intruder or Rannoch annoying Mallie? ;)

Rannoch's got the fish in a firm grip:

POST SPLIT DUE TO "PENDING MODERATION".

IMAGICAT

• CONTINUING SPLIT POST:

Rannoch crashed in screeching her head off, looked as tho she was defending but who knows what's going on?

No fish with her now, I wonder what happened to it?

Then another piece of flounder turned up:

Mallie was late again!

And Rannoch did her flying-with-fish act again, she loves it!

Mallie defending again!

Mallie got a flounder:

Mallie disappeared in a buffer, Rannoch has been on and off waiting and fishcalling - something tells me she's been over-confident flying with fish ;)

ENS.

Mallie disappeared in a buffer, Rannoch has been on and off waiting and fishcalling - something tells me she's been over-confident flying with fish ;)

ENS.

(THIS POST IS A MESS DUE TO TRYING TO RESTORE AFTER IT WAS SENT FOR MODERATION.)

IMAGICAT

• Here's an osp

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• Flounder for Rannoch!

Lookin' good :)))

Mallie missed out:

Rannoch got right down to the tail, so nothing left for Mallie:

Mallie in front - no fish forthcame, they both left:

Can't be sure which one came back again but probably Rannoch, going by the perch:

And back again!

Driven off by the midges?  Our last sighting of an osprey for the day:

Ooh, nightcam :)

IMAGICAT

• Did anyone see Aila yesterday?

IMAGICAT