LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - AUGUST 2019

Link to July 2019 thread 

The 2 chicks were ringed on 4 July and assessed as female. They were given ring numbers JJ0 and JJ2, and later named by popular vote as Mallie and Rannoch. Both weighed 1.49kg on ringing but will weigh a lot more now after a further month's-worth of protein-packed-piscine-parenting.  The WT subsequently said they thought Mallie may be male. S/he fledged on 20 July and Rannoch on 27 July.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• ca 17.20 she returned and picked up the tail end, and was surprisingly quiet while she tackled the long skin threads and downed the fin tail. A potter and a natter, looked around, another potter to the far edge to clear her beak. She flew off at about 17.30.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Evening All, Thanks for posts and pics.
    She's on the nest now. No idea when she arrived.

Kind regards, Ann

• 18-41 Small to medium whole fish delivered. Slight smile

• Slight edit - poor sunbird is beside herself and apologies but her abacus didn't quite get it right it is actually 391 - but hey whatever its a great amount and sunbird has done an amazing job , Louis can still do 400 if JJ2 stays around say 3/4 days

Valerie

• SheilaFE said:
    You said there was a fish delivery at 14.15. I can't find that on the scroll back

I don't blame you for missing it, SHEILA, 12 hours is too long to allow for fine tuning :( 

As I commented after the event, she did fly off and return with it:

She stood over it shouting on 'n off for nearly half an hour before she started eating:

Then flew off leaving the tailend on the nest:

I'm using Chrome and can access RF but it's behaved badly for this post.  I posted a snap of the "This is unexpected" page several days ago, it claims to have reported the problem but nothing's been done about it :( 

IMAGICAT

• I had a half-hour buffer 16:00-16:30 but the nest looked unchanged when it recovered.

Back for the tailend:

Eaten on the nest:

Coal Tit @ 18:10 - there were 2, actually, but their timing was nano-second accurate when one bobbed up the other had just bobbed down, so I can't get then both in the same shot:

Rannoch flew in @ 18:22 and flew off @ 18:35.  

Back @ 18:40 for a small whole FISH: 

Which she ate on the nest and flew off immediately-ish:

That was it for the day, it turned into a rainy misty night with very few fairy flyers.

IMAGICAT

• It's been a rainy night, quite a few fairy flyers came out around 05:40... At daycam I unmuted it and have heard nothing apart from the rain still falling but quite gently.

IMAGICAT

• Good morning MC. Likewise, seen and heard nothing.
  • I left the room for the sake of chores >:( and heard an osprey voice but not the Rannoch screech.  On checking back I see that she did come to the nest, apparently in response to a flyover - which didn't look like her (IMHO) or even a definite osprey, it may have been carrying something tho - but if that were a fish, Rannoch's reaction would have been different, wouldn't it? :-/

I have not shortened this.

I'm having trouble with the RF, even in Chrome - it's just not performing as it should.

IMAGICAT

• 07-38 Nice size headless fish...one that Rannoch was quick to grab