The Scottish Ospreys from extinction to survival by Philip Brown

This is a wonderful book describing how the ospreys were first extirpated in Scotland around 1916 and then were found to return in 1954.

A number of people on the forum now have a copy so we can have a discussion about it.

Here is what the book looks like.  Its ISBN number is: 9780434089109

• No problems at all with the female and the nests Tiger :)

The male bird I am not sure of. There is someone it could be but I am not 100% convinced it is.

• Well, EJ is on BBC2 tonight. I just watched 'Scotland's Trees' with Prof. Iain Stewart, episode 1 of 'Making Scotland's Landscape'. What is in keeping with this thread, is that while we all go on about the recovery of the  osprey, that very recovery, at Loch Garten, has spawned the recovery of the Scottish Pine forest from near extinction, partly due to the RSPB purchase of the LG site, Abernethy Forest.  Also Glen Affric is also featured in the programme.

EJ comes on at about 10 mins from the end and also some interior shots of the centre as well, but remember the programme is about trees and forests. So you could say that, if the osprey had not come back to the UK in 1954, would we have had any Old Scots Pine forest left at the present day? Or how much? Probably less.

BBC2 8PM Tonight or iPlayer.

Professor Iain Stewart reveals how Scotland's unique landscape was shaped. Here, he uncovers the devastating impact of mankind and the climate on the nation's trees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vjs17/Making_Scotlands_Landscape_Scotlands_Trees/

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• Thanks jsb. I will be watching. EJ definately has the X factor.

• There are now 5 episodes of the above excellent programme on iPlayer. 'The Land' describes the attitude of landowners in the past to rid their estates of 'vermin', animals and birds, that conflicted with their hunting interests. This series was reviewed by Points of View on Sunday and came up as highly recommended, not just as a nature documentary, but content, well researched and presented, in an interesting and factual way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00w4gnm/Making_Scotlands_Landscape_The_Climate/

The effect of the actions of some of the estates created a dead landscape, that could not support a thriving environment, but now with the changes in attitude and the formation of national parks, things are returning to a better way of life for most, including humans, who are part of the regeneration. The main casualty of this has been a big reduction in red deer numbers, since they were becoming too great, if we were to re-establish the biodiversity.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• I watched the first two of these programmes, and was struck by how well they were made - also puts into context a lot of things we really didn't know (well, I didn't anyway) about the history of the natural landscape of Scotland.  Also saw the praise on 'Points of View"  so hope others will be alerted to what they are missing!

• I guess everyone who went away to read this book over the break has now done so. I see that there are a few more copies available now.

• Some of the new new members may not have seen this thread.

• I read the book over the winter. It is fascinating to read of the humble beginnings of Loch Garten!

I felt  gratitude toward  George Waterston's and a couple of his friends for their dedication and belief that  the Osprey could be reintroduced to  Scotland .  He slept in a tent for weeks and had to  haul water  from a creek so he could stand guard over  an Osprey nest.  Egg collectors were  a  threat to the  Osprey's survival . 

Without this  dedication we would not  be enjoying watching all the nests, especially Loch Garten  . 

Formerly known as Barbara Jean

• Unknown said:

I read the book over the winter. It is fascinating to read of the humble beginnings of Loch Garten!

I felt  gratitude toward  George Waterston's and a couple of his friends for their dedication and belief that  the Osprey could be reintroduced to  Scotland .  He slept in a tent for weeks and had to  haul water  from a creek so he could stand guard over  an Osprey nest.  Egg collectors were  a  threat to the  Osprey's survival . 

Without this  dedication we would not  be enjoying watching all the nests, especially Loch Garten  . 

I was wondering how you found the book after your long wait to receive it. It is amazing how everyone sees it slightly differently.

It is interesting that in those days being an egg collector was regarded as normal. The Radio 4 programme "The Bird Boys" which I give a link to higher up in the thread has quite a lot to say about egg collectors.

I am sure George Waterson was mention in the news in recent months but I cannot think where. Yes we do owe a huge debt to him the same way that the Americans owe a big debt to Dennis Puleston.