The Scottish Ospreys from extinction to survival by Philip Brown

This is a wonderful book describing how the ospreys were first extirpated in Scotland around 1916 and then were found to return in 1954.

A number of people on the forum now have a copy so we can have a discussion about it.

Here is what the book looks like.  Its ISBN number is: 9780434089109

• Barbara Jean. That is great news. Yes they do take great care in packing books these days. You will enjoy reading about the days when first the ospreys declined and then recovered again.

As a result of looking at the map of the American mid west I have had to revise my perception of the geography. My father spent about seven years living and working in Detroit a very long time ago. For some odd reason I always thought Detroit was on Lake Michigan in either Ilinois or Wisconsin. So I am surprised to find that it is way over on Lake Erie in Michigan. Clearly I am no Madonna fan  :)

There was a paper about translocating (hacking in the USA) ospreys in Wisconsin. See http://www.ci.muskego.wi.us/Portals/11/docs/ethelpaper.pdf

• I have just finished reading the last 3 chapters, a really good read, after the rather sombre start to the book.
    The people were so dedicated and it was such a good decision to open up to the public - as we now know!

The ospreywatch people here would identify with moving nest sites as they were caused similar problems when the pair left the established nest in 2008 for one on the opposite side of the lake!  No hide, camera, viewpoint set up, but they managed anyway.

• ChrisyB said:

I have just finished reading the last 3 chapters, a really good read, after the rather sombre start to the book.
    The people were so dedicated and it was such a good decision to open up to the public - as we now know!

The ospreywatch people here would identify with moving nest sites as they were caused similar problems when the pair left the established nest in 2008 for one on the opposite side of the lake!  No hide, camera, viewpoint set up, but they managed anyway.

So you are actually finished?

Yes the decision of George Waterson to open it all up the public was so far sighted. We are possibly sitting here talking about this as a direct result of that decision.

It was be so lovely to know where those first birds came from. Of course as you may know Roy Dennis now thinks that the ospreys never died out in the first place.

This is an amazing audio on the same subject. You should enjoy listening to it. Listen at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/birdboys.shtml

• Hazel b said:

Barbara Jean. That is great news. Yes they do take great care in packing books these days. You will enjoy reading about the days when first the ospreys declined and then recovered again.

As a result of looking at the map of the American mid west I have had to revise my perception of the geography. My father spent about seven years living and working in Detroit a very long time ago. For some odd reason I always thought Detroit was on Lake Michigan in either Illinois or Wisconsin. So I am surprised to find that it is way over on Lake Erie in Michigan. Clearly I am no Madonna fan  :)

There was a paper about translocating (hacking in the USA) ospreys in Wisconsin. See http://www.ci.muskego.wi.us/Portals/11/docs/ethelpaper.pdf

Tiger  Thanks for the link!!  I live about 45 minutes drive from Big Muskego Lake. They have a  Web cam on the nest but it is a still cam. There were 2 chicks that had not fledged when a tornado hit the area. It destroyed the nest and killed the chicks. I could not find out if the adults survived.  The  information on their web site is sporadic at best. 

I want  to find some nests  with Web cams here in the USA.  I have never seen an Osprey in person and would love  to  find a  nest to  go to see them.  I know  there are  centers on the East coast and in Florida but both would be  costly trips for me . I would  need to fly there and stay in a hotel.   Big Muskego lake would be perfect I can drive there in less than an hour. 

Formerly known as Barbara Jean

• Barbara Jean.  Not sure if you know the DPOF site. It was the site of the first streaming osprey cam in the world.  It is where some of us in the UK got to know streaming webcams. See http://puleston.osprey.bnl.org/index.php

The site is a memorial to Dennis Puleston who done so much to bring ospreys back from the brink in the seventies and eighties after the decimation caused by DDT.

There is a good tribute to him in this PDF document. See  http://www.osprey2005.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DennisPuleston.pdf

• Thanks for this link Tiger, I have saved it and will watch it soon, looks interesting.

• Tiger, i really enjoyed this book i found chapter two upsetting,also i thought how disapointing for them after all there watching over them in 1958 to then have the the eggs stolen by the egg collector and found broken near by i also think that its down to george waterston opening it up too the public in 1959 that we are able to go see them today at the loch garten centre he must have seen the big picture and thought that it was worth taking the risk which definitely paid off

• Alicat  Yes the way the eggs were stolen in 1958 was certainly a huge disappointment. It is likely that young ospreys would have flown from Loch Garten in 1958 if it had not been for that theft.

It interesting that they were expecting an incubation period of 34 days (p 145). We now know that first eggs tend to hatch on 37 or 38 days.

I also like the description of how the crows were ready to exploit any opportunity to steal the eggs (page 121).

I take it you are glad you got a copy?

• Hazel b said:

Alicat  Yes the way the eggs were stolen in 1958 was certainly a huge disappointment. It is likely that young ospreys would have flown from Loch Garten in 1958 if it had not been for that theft.

It interesting that they were expecting an incubation period of 34 days (p 145). We now know that first eggs tend to hatch on 37 or 38 days.

I also like the description of how the crows were ready to exploit any opportunity to steal the eggs (page 121).

I take it you are glad you got a copy?

Tiger, yes absolutely started ready chapter five yesterday then picked it up again today at chapter nine