The Problem of The Missing Ospreys

It seems to me that the lack of ospreys at Loch Garten is a serious one that may need a lot of thinking about. Not only is there an empty nest but an empty visitor centre. 

There may need to be serious strategic thinking in order to ensure that this problem is solved and stays solved. 

It would seem that the RSPB may need to put a camera on another nest and use that in the short term. 

In the longer term they may need more imaginative solutions.

Maybe this is the chance for the highly knowledgable community here to give their ideas. 

• From the blog "just in case a new osprey is jumpy around them", and "So, small steps maybe, but I have to say that even if these measures don't work, it has made us feel a bit better just giving them a go".
    That sounds to me like clutching at straws, which is not a criticism as I would also try anything on the off-chance it works. Ian
  • I find it such a shame that I am reading so many comments criticising Loch Garten , I would have thought you would understand and support them , they need your support , I have just done my tenth year volunteering and I love the place with all my heart and so want to see ospreys there on that nest once again so let them try and do something to get to that end for all of you .
    For those saying there are few visitors, that is not the case either - the visitor centre is often very busy but obviously numbers will be down with no nesting ospreys. When I was there it was really busy every day and I am pretty sure membership numbers are up .
    What we all want surely is to see ospreys returning to this nest and on the advice of Roy Dennis (The number 1 osprey expert in the UK after all) , Loch Garten are doing what they have been advised , so can do without the criticism of people who don’t even know what is happening. Be patient and I’m sure all will be revealed in due course.
    And Jess says the live webcam is not being permanently switched off - the camera on the camera tree is to be shown on the live camera once everything is in place which will no doubt be as soon as possible. I think people can live without the live empty nest view for a day or so if it may help attract a new pair of ospreys.
    Thank you to some who have offered support .

Valerie

• I think that Roy's observation about the growth of surrounding trees is probably one of the most salient points here. If we think about it many of the nests are isolated to a degree or on the very edge of a wood with a panoramic view over open ground or water. In other words they can see any potential airborne threat from a distance. If he can see such a marked change in the locality maybe that is indeed a factor.
  • Mike, I do not know if they would get permission to interfere with the pine forest, as stated in an earlier post, the Abernethy Forest is special for other reasons in addition to osprey. Ian

• I understand that Ian but I guess the question will be centred on whether the felling of trees would have a detrimental affect on the overall habitat of the locality and any rarity issues. We do not know how many trees RD was thinking of.
  • Removing the grasses would be choice......(as long as it is live and not a recording CHOL:):)

• If the present Loch Garten nest is no longer ideal for ospreys it may make more sense to remove it and create a new nest in a more suitable nearby location. 50 years is a long time for a nest on a tree to be in use. Ospreys don't care about the history.

Hilary J