GLASLYN OSPREYS – JUNE 2019

Link to previous thread:   Glaslyn Ospreys - May 2019

The season so far:    Mrs G arrived back 25 March and Aran on 1 April.  Mrs G laid 3 eggs 13, 16 and 19 April hatching 19, 21 and 24 May.   Mrs G and Aran continue to work hard to raise their young and Aran is once more proving to be an excellent provider bringing in plenty of fish to feed his family.  

Link to Webcam\Copyright:  © Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

• Fantastic!!!!! So relieved for #3, some much smaller than his sibling, but at least #1 was happy to let he/she have some fish from mum. So Happy!
  • Starling said:
    So wonderful to see they decided to intervene, correct decision in this instance, thank you, thank you to the team at Glaslyn!

Absolutely Starling  :-)

• As I came here I was saying "Please plese please!" and I was telling somebody about Ems intervening with Ceulan
    So happy all thought it appropriate to soin this instance THANK YOU
  • The tail fin has gone, and #3 has gone on walkabout, nonthe worse its experience!

and has settled on our side of the nest, resting its head n the coconut mat

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• That was such hard watching after the first chick died, poor wee fellow struggling. Thanks to all concerned, that was in my opinion the absolute correct dicission. One happy wee chick, what was all the fuss about as he tucked into the fish and now has a snooze! Happy ending.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• With concentrating so much on #3 I have just noticed #2 is gone!

Does anyone know what has happened to poor little #2's body? Has Mrs G covered it or has she or maybe Glaslyn taken the poor little thing away?

• I've just posted the link to Glaslyn's fb post (previous page) Karen. #2 was 'collected' and will be sent for analysis

I'll repost the link

Here

• Thank you Sandra. I had just read it. For those not on FB

Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife - Glaslyn Ospreys.
    6 mins ·
    You will be aware that at 10:48 this morning, the third chick fell onto its back and has been unable to remove itself from that position. It is unclear if something caused the chick to fall or if some damage has been caused as a result of the fall which meant the chick was not able to get up.

After consulting with experts including Dr Tim Mackrill and considering the terms of our disturbance licence, we took the decision to intervene. This decision was made with the belief that this disturbance would not affect the eldest chick, who is only a few days away from reaching the age at which ringing can begin.

We cannot assess the damage the fall may have caused, but we believe we have given the chick the best chance of survival. The second chick that died in the nest this morning has been removed and will be sent for analysis.

We do realise how difficult it has been for you to witness this on the live streaming but thank you for understanding that these actions and decisions cannot be taken lightly.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Karen W said:
    Does anyone know what has happened to poor little #2's body? Has Mrs G covered it or has she or maybe Glaslyn taken the poor little thing away?

Here from

Sandras   GlaslynFB Link

"We cannot assess the damage the fall may have caused, but we believe we have given the chick the best chance of survival. The second chick that died in the nest this morning has been removed and will be sent for analysis."

I personally am feeling confident chick will be fine, it seemed to topple, not fall, and the size of its tummy and the angle of the cup made it too difficult for it to right itself... soooo fingers and everything else crossed.