Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 May 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

• Good to read all your posts - well, the happy parts of them.

Tired this evening after shopping in M&S Food. Indulged in a jam and cream scone in the coffee shop! OH busy with the hose in the garden this evening - we have been getting very little rain once again. I think it will be a gardening day tomorrow.

Well, it's started - that summer sound which only young starlings can make - some of them seem to be coming out and about very young - still quite fluffy in parts!
  • Hi, all. 

Just popping in to post this. I thought some of you might find it interesting. 

This morning in Montana, an adult black bear climbed the 25-foot pole to an osprey nest! The osprey pair were distressed -- understandably -- but the bear wasn't able to reach the eggs and eventually climbed back down after checking out the nest. 

Here's a PHOTO

Here's a very good two-minute VIDEO

• I see that the Glaslyn ospreys have laid 3 eggs, and one has hatched already. We hope to visit there soon, when we are back in Wales once again.

OG -- As regards bird noise, we've been noticing how loudly the sparrows have been arguing around our garden lately. A real cacophony! We have a lot of sparrows because we and our neighbours all feed them all year round, so the population has increased. I don't know if they're fighting over the available females, or the food source.
  • Diane, thanks. I saw the bear on your Facebook post, quite astounding
  • Diane: That is the most amazing video!!!! Have you posted it on other RSPB osprey threads? I'm sure everyone would be fascinated. Thank you..
  • Annette: I posted it on the Osprey Chat thread. Glad you enjoyed it. :-)
  • Good Morning. Rather grey skies here, but it's still dry. The allotment needs rain!!
  • My camera has been gadding about. On Sunday it went on a “church crawl” (not a pub crawl LOL). I visited 2 churches to capture stained glass windows before returning to my own service. One window was a memorial to a 19-year-old DOW in the Boer War. Today I visited 2 more city churches, one of them open for History Month, the other for a weekly concert. I mistimed how long the first batch of photos would take and arrived for the concert an hour early. Noticing a side door open, I cheekily entered, “please may I etc etc” and soon I was finished, still much too early. Nah, I wasn’t so desperate for the concert, so hobbled back to my bus stop with a detour to bookshop for some educational books for twins looming birthday. I already have crafts and odds & sods for them. FIVE! Two grown up little misses.
  • AQ - five already? unbelievable! Sounds as if you are enjoying the city churches this autumn.

DIANE - amazing bear story - I did see it on Facebook. Hope work is going well.

LINDA - gone dull here after a very bright start, but still warm, and more blue sky appearing - just not in the direction of the sun! Will be gardening after coffee; hoping to "finish" front garden so all it will need is regular mowing and trimming. Goldfinches are still monopolising the Willow Tree feeders, but a variety of species have found the new water feature on the deck and are enjoying baths/showers there!