DAILY UPDATES - Loch Garten nest - MAY 2019

• I saw her fishing a lochan in 2004 that was only about half a km from that nest. I am sure she knew of this nest.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• What remains a mystery is why no males who were hatched within say 15 km from the LG nest and who do not have an established territory have not been observed displaying above the vacant LG nest trying to attract a female. I think my frustration at not having sound to try and identify this over the past few weeks at LG must be on a par with Scylla. .

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• CRinger - everything about LG just now to me is a mystery. I just cannot believe that after all the hassle Odin and EJ endured that there is no osprey in sight. It seems the young are only interested in established nests and to cause havoc. It is very sad but I think it more likely that we could see a mature male which has been ousted from their own nest.

For us it has just been a few months, but looking at this empty nest, I can't even begin to imagine the delight of those witnessing the return of the osprey back in 1956 and nesting 1959.

• Apropos the pictures of the '' finchy'' bird. If this little bird was green it would be a female crossbill which is stripey .like this one and the same size . Maybe a juvenie? not yet in its adult colours? That's my guess
  • Hi Cirrus........... all juveniles fledged this year, male or female crossbills have the stripey plumage is my understanding. Its only when they moult into adult plumage that sex can be established.

• NIGHTCAM 22:11

No-one seen overnight.

DAYCAM 04:26

No little (or any other) birds yet.

IMAGICAT | LG DAILY OBS

• Oh Well, Thanks for the report Scylla
  • Red 8T was EJ's partner for about a week in 2005  until Henry turned up on 25th April 2005   all covered in oil. 

See postings in Birdforum

Tiger's RSPB Signature

• I've whipped thru the day and found no visitors whatsoever - but did go rather fast cos I've got a lot to do.

NIGHTCAM 22:10

No visitors until one I hadn't seen for many nights!

The Carnyx screen intruded once or twice.

IMAGICAT | LG DAILY OBS

• No overnight visitors.

DAYCAM 04:25

IMAGICAT | LG DAILY OBS