DAILY UPDATES - Loch Garten nest - MAY 2019

The silence is deafening, not least because we haven't even had sound* for a week or two, let alone an osprey on the nest.

*This is to reduce demand on the bandwidth, along with turning off the Feeder cam stream.  It seems that the reason for the reduced bandwidth cannot yet be fathomed.

But who knows what the month of May will bring?  First-time returners are due and there are reports of ospreys flying up thru the country.  Hang in here, everyone!

Carnyx Channel page ~ click LIVE NOW

But it hasn't always been so live:

Then back:

• Glad I don't live there even if they do have Ospreys (usually!)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hell's teeth!  I must show you my LG day :'(

I was woken up by a loud spitting-type noise from the LG laptop, and there was dearest EJ on the screen :'(  I reset the URL from the Carnyx Channel LIVE NOW link and went back to sleep - however !!!  I had forgotten to reset the auto-refresh.  Hence:

EJ was there for 50 minutes before the noise woke me up:

I definitely set it to the correct URL because I got the snow - but YT had obviously set it on 144p again:

But it started buffering at this time and, without the half-hourly auto-refresh going, that's how it stayed for the day :'(

I despair and don't understand it!  This never happens with Arkaig and almost never with LotL and Glaslyn - all YT.

• Maybe all will be miraculously resolved when there are Ospreys on the nest to focus on??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well I am surprised. I had lots of confidence when I suggested that I was more worried that we would have too many Ospreys battling for this nest this year when it became evident that EJ was not to return rather than a lack of Ospreys. I think Tiger went even further by saying that there would be nesting this year. Now, due to the lack of sightings on the nest, whilst I applaud and understand the 'upbeat' blog from paid members of staff, my heart tells me that the sands of time are swiftly running out and that perhaps the best we can hope for is a pair meeting, greeting and forming a bond this year which might lead to a successful year next year. I hope I am proved wrong and that there are very late eggs this year, but tempus fugit and for a reason that might never be explained this 'des res' does not appear to have attracted a viable couple this year within a time frame that would result in a successful breeding season. Time for head scratching and evaluation of previous data allied with positive hopes for the future.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• I’ve actually thought similar things for quite a while if you see my earlier posts and sadly if you check my earlier posts saying this, I also said that there could well be no Ospreys at all attempting to take over the nest and that this could be the end of an era when no Ospreys appear to try and mate. It’s just been sadly so quiet this year in 2019 on the Osprey nest and again I’ll say, i hope, I'm wrong.

Regards,

Ian.

• Wow! I’m just thinking how hot and sunny it was in February. But of course snow is not unheard off in May even lying at low levels even in Newcastle and Gateshead on oocasions in previous years in May, though not very often.

Regards,

Ian.

• Yup, we have had sleet, snow and hail showers all day up here!! Sunny in between but bitterly cold. Roll on next week when it is meant to get a bit better!

Oh dear the nest is so sad and empty and lonely and cold, I wish........

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Settled even more but not still snowing, apparently: