Update - Loch Garten Nest from Sunday 21 April 2019

After Friday's excitement seeing Mrs BTO (thanks Karen), not one osprey landed on the nest, although we think we heard one nearby. Super-sleuth-scylla managed to record what we heard. But maybe we were all haliaetus-hallucinating, as Fergus from LG HQ posted to say they'd not seen anything all day, except one osprey flying overhead (although some of us were watching the webcam before the centre opened).  Anyhow, there's always another day........

EDIT; title changed to 'update' as there's not a lot of nest activity at present. We can revert back to daily updates once we have 2 or 3 days of solid action if you get my drift

• Thanks to Scylla for letting me know about the camera. We have been monitoring it for an hour or so. The satellite is having one of those lack of bandwidth days. We have turned off the bird feeder for a short time to see what improves.

Thanks, Peter

• Many thanks, Peter.  We are so grateful that you keep an eye on it for us x

When I visited LG last year I was shown a ring binder full of year-by-year data, which was a aide memoire for the staff and vols.  I suggested to Jess that it would make an instant money earner for them, if they were to publish it.  I also recall Jen showing me a very large table of all the chicks, probably in her last season.  She was editing it and hoped it would be made available.  I am popping in at the beginning of June, and may mention it again.

A new book to add to your bookshelves!   I'd not come across it myself, it was my OH!!

What a gorgeous day at LG.  The shadows are lengthening, the grass continues to grown and still of sign of a new occupant.  I wonder where Ms BTO has flown to.

• scylla said:

"Up next"

scylla you tease! I thought for one beautiful moment EJ had returned. The date is today! Yipee! Then I saw the 3 eggs.....

• Nice evening but no osprey action today I think apart from the one scylla posted at 4.12pm.

Sigh.

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Been out for the evening and only catching up, ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK, when I saw Sylla's post, date and time, I was frantic scrolling down, reading and was about to ask what!!!! Then I read Korky's above post, never even saw the eggs, just the one and only EJ. Scylla I need a lie down!!!
  • Hey CRinger...
    the fight scenes of 2004 were just horrendous......
    In answer to the questions about the footage.....it was all recorded on VHS video with alot of footage to edit...the volunteers had to record the start time, and the end time of the video for that tape....it was an incredible responsibilty and a total joint effort....one watching....one recodring....both writing the action in the big red book...
    yesterday I gave the impression it was all cups of tea and biscuits !!!! It was hair-raising and frantic at times!!
    I recorded alot of the fight scenes...especially the ones where the camera is moving...
    Les also caught footage that morning....it was a team effort...
    Even now I remember the sinking feeling in my tummy as EJ started to alarm call and mantle her wings...
    and about a minute later we saw the spec of the intruder in the distance....getting nearer and nearer....
    the fights were every morning about 6am....every day of my volunteering 2 weeks
    relentless dive-bombing....
    culminating in the scenes in the link CRinger has posted....how EJ and the other bird ever survived is actually a miracle....
    and a big part of me hopes that the intruder found a nest and her own mate....she was also huge and formidable and would have made a fantastic osprey mummy.
  • My cam is down again - that is, in a buffer loop. Too late to phone anyone :(
  • Cam still buffering.

BIRDIE reminded me:

The little birdie in your video, the meadow pipit...I saw one on the nest on 19 April

It's been sitting on my hard drive under "speckle-breasted bird" awaiting uploading to YouTube!  Now done, thank you BIRDIE :)

Thanks also for the reminder about BigRab - now I remember going thru that wild-goose chase before.  What a shame :(

• Scylla, You maybe surprised at how late into the evening we work.
  • Unknown said:
    Scylla, You maybe surprised at how late into the evening we work.

Thanks Peter..... given how little there has been to see so far....we don't want to miss anything that is yet to happen  Stuck out tongue winking eyeLaughing