Update - Loch Garten Nest from Sunday 21 April 2019

After Friday's excitement seeing Mrs BTO (thanks Karen), not one osprey landed on the nest, although we think we heard one nearby. Super-sleuth-scylla managed to record what we heard. But maybe we were all haliaetus-hallucinating, as Fergus from LG HQ posted to say they'd not seen anything all day, except one osprey flying overhead (although some of us were watching the webcam before the centre opened).  Anyhow, there's always another day........

EDIT; title changed to 'update' as there's not a lot of nest activity at present. We can revert back to daily updates once we have 2 or 3 days of solid action if you get my drift

• Change of view

appears to be out of focus a little and the birly thing keeps going round - I am wondering if we are seeing live or if it is in some sort of loop??

• Mine looks to be live Karen.

Edit :  Correction I think you could be right.

• I shan't know when the nest comes back up because I am riveted to {{{EJ}}}

PATILY asked:

Several of us started following in 2011 Do you know whether there is any other footage of this nest before then?

If only YouTube would let me find people I'm subscribed to... there are some of us (not me of course, cos I started in 2011 as well) who were uploading over the years.  ALAN PETRIE, for one, CHLOE, and a man I never met, his name reminds me of BIG BEAR but it's not that.

IMAGICAT

• Oh NO Scylla - I have just seen your post !! :-(
  • Cam is back up and hopefully OK - perhaps not as I've just seen the birly
  • I think it is back up now, no birlies:

I was so sad to close EJ's tab :'(  It really feels as tho she's there and I've left her xxx xxx xxx

IMAGICAT

• We're now on the windy nest, I can safely log off. See y'all later :)))

IMAGICAT

• patily said:
    Yes managed to watch the amazing video of events in 2004 Have to admit to shedding a few tears seeing dearest EJ looking so fit and well.....but amazing video even so Her close bond to Henry was wonderful to see and indeed Henry was remarkable too, managing to provide for 3 healthy chicks, EJ and himself when all other chicks in the area di not survive Thank you for......Several of started following in 2011 Do you know whether there is any other footage of this nest before then?

Hi Patily

Certainly during the 1990's and up to and including 2004 it was part of the Osprey Warden's remit to go into a recording studios towards the end of each season and edit the hundreds of hours of DVDs / CDs recorded by staff and volunteers during the season to produce a 'highlights video' of that season lasting no more than 15 minutes that the staff could show the following season in the hide. 2004 was such a remarkable season that I extended the 15 minute limit just a little. I am pretty sure these highlight videos are sadly not in the public domain - no doubt they are in storage somewhere with RSPB. If I remember correctly the 2001 or 2002 video showed a hectic skirmish between 5 male Ospreys in the air and all visible above the nest in the 1 shot. The 'egg kicking' incident described by Henry yesterday was also captured in another by an experienced volunteer.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• I can think of one or two of our fan club who might collar LG staff and get them rooting in the archives for us ;)

This is definitely my last post of this session !!!

IMAGICAT