Daily Update ~ Loch Garten Nest ~ Saturday 20th April 2019

03:35 nightcam is still on and I am sure many have great anticipation and hope that today's viewing will confirm what some suspected yesterday - that we are indeed witnessing what could be the dawn of a new era at this amazing nest. Will the female we saw yesterday return? Will she be able to attract the attention of a worthy suitor? Time will tell. Some, but not all questions we have may be answered today.

• For me my day beginning at 3.30 is over. Disappointing - yes. As much as I like where I now live if I had received £1 for every disappointing day I had observed on this nest I would have bought a house within walking distance of it, I shall return by dawn. Hope springs eternal. My hope is tomorrow's daily thread is 15 pages long.
  • Yes I agree today has been disappointing we can only live in hope that tomorrow is a better day goodnight CRinger sleep well
  • Fergus C said:
    Hey guys, little update from the centre today. We did not see the return of the mystery bird from yesterday. Staff were divided on if it was a male osprey waiting with fish for a female or if it was a female happily resting and sunning herself in the hope of a partner turning up. We ran an easter egg hunt in the centre and it was a beautifully sunny day with lots of families visiting the forest. We had a lone osprey fly over the nest but no one could say for certain if it was the same one. We will have to see what tomorrow brings.

Many thanks for this Fergus. Lovely to have an update from the centre.

As to the sex of yesterday's bird I think the vast majority on the thread concluded that both on behaviour (not displaying when she had a fish) and plumage when we saw a good look at her chest that she was undoubtedly female. 

Goodnight all.

• Thanks for the updates etc. I seem to recall in one of EJ's last seasons, she spent a lot of time away from the nest area. From what I recall, this was put down to her still being partly in off season mode. Could this be the case with the beautiful Osprey from yesterday?
  • Lovely to get an update and a view from osprey HQ!
    We can but wait and hope.
    Ospreys do what ospreys do, and often forget to read the book! But here's to another day!
  • I did daycam this morning and forgot to post it, in the excitement of "looking" for sounds.

DAYCAM 05:33

NIGHTCAM 21:02

The green one won't drag 'n drop (too big?) so please take my word that this is the transition.

• I've only just caught up with the Osprey visit yesterday to LG - the start of a DU was a bit of a giveaway!
    Fingers crossed Ms BTO returns and this will be the start of a new era for the LG nest. Still mourning our beautiful EJ but we need new Osprey life here - thank you, Mary G, for your tribute video to EJ on FB.
  • Happy Easter everybody...Scylla thats the sound of a female food soliciting...and that means she is able to see a male perched somewhere with food.....or sees a male flying with with a fish....or sees a male displaying with a fish...remember from the top of the nest that an osprey can see all the way to Aviemore...so it may be she's soliciting to a male wh's miles off....or she has spotted one we cant see perched up alot closer !