Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 7 April 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

Finally getting some warm weather on my patch. The grass turned green in 24 hours! 

I hope everyone has a joyful, peaceful spring week! 

• DIANE: Interesting about those daffs. I have some salvia that originally were red with hints of white in the flowers; the last two years they've got paler and paler, but this year they're back to bright red with white bits again. I'm assuming it's all the rain we had, but what do I know. Did you see that SpaceX managed to land all three boosters from its Kennedy launch yesterday? :-)

LINDYBIRD: I understand the appeal of the different, but my idea of the perfect vacation spot has green hills, green grass, lots of trees, hopefully with an ocean nearby. :-)
  • I'm glad you came on Annette -- I've been talking to myself all day!

I saw that the Israeli unmanned craft had crashed on the moon yesterday, what a shame.

Tried to ring Gs husband, but no reply. He could be walking the dog, or else has gone to stay with his daughter.
  • Sorry, LINDY!
    I've been out for lunch etc with eldest daughter, then shopping.
    Back door lock won't turn and key is stuck so have been trying to fix it this afternoon. Have used WD 40, see what happens. I can get outside via conservatory so not desperate. However the house alarm is triggered by that door as well as the front door. Anyway, youngest son in law will look at it. Failing that, a locksmith. What else can go wrong here?!!!
    Your holiday pics are lovely. I'm not as keen on the deserty scenery but can see that it has its own wild beauty.

It was a shame that the (British!) engine failed and the moon landing failed.

And yes, ANNETTE - what will happen to the cat?
  • Lindybird said:

Plus a house sparrow, who chirped at me as we walked around the narrow streets of the town, where they nest under the eaves and amongst the wildly draped electrical wires on each home, they seem to prefer it all to be on view outside even though it spoils the looks of the buildings.  Very similar to our house sparrows, I thought.

Just for the record, Lindy, this is a Spanish Sparrow and is a different species from the House Sparrow that we are all familiar with. They seem to be the resident sparrow on Fuerteventura as I didn't see a House Sparrow at all when I was there three years ago.

If you had visited the stony desert west of Tindaya you might have been lucky enough to see the rare and iconic Houbara Bustard displaying.

• Won't try to catch up with all, but enjoyed LINDA's photos, although I am not a great admirer of those dry landscapes - but as the Irish always say we wouldn't have all the green without rain!

HEATHER - sorry about the door lock - hope SiL can fix it soon.

TEEJAY - great bird!

We have been quite busy in, out and roundabout the last couple of days so I haven't spent much time at the computer. J had a big cleaning day today - we don't have the cleaner in his room. He took a big bag of rubbish out to the bin. OH is having to water various plants with the sunshine and breezes drying everything after all the earlier rain. He collected my shortened trousers from the alterations shop today - actually the local bridal shop! Out to lunch again tomorrow.
  • What a lovely bird, TeeJay. That must have been on Lanzarote, which I'm also familiar with, although my photos this time were of Fuerteventura. I did realise that my Sparrow must be rather different.

I do keep my eyes peeled, but find it hard to capture the birds when in the Canary Islands, as they're not usually in the trees, which are even rarer than the birds!
  • No, this was on Fuerteventura. I was based at La Oliva. I've never been to Lanzarote.

• Heather, what a pain. Hope you can get the lock fixed.

I managed to get hold of Gs husband at last, and he is OK. He's had lots to do of course, so has been busy. He has two invites out to eat this weekend, a suggestion from his daughter that he go on a cruise with them in the autumn, and ----- he is going to Greece for Easter! He said "I'll have to think about it", to the person who invited him, then after a walk with the dog, he rang them back and accepted. There will be six of them in a small hotel in a tiny place in Greece. "Good for you" I said!
  • Oh, I see TeeJay. Sorry! I was not far from La Oliva.
  • Hi all, Plodding along as usual. At least the weather has been kind during the day so have managed to put washing out, great.

Just read the last two pages and loved Linda's photo's - thanks.

Hope you are all Ok, have a great weekend.