Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 March 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

• Happy spring equinox and happy full moon (the last supermoon of 2019) on Wednesday, March 20!

• Thank you Diane.  It's raining here, but that works for me.

OK. Here are some pix from my drive, the flowers are along the sides of the roads.  The scenes with the untidy palm trees and buildings/signs are from the Coachella Preserve.  These are just hints of what you could see in the Anza Borrego Desert and Antelope Valley areas, where the hills are completely covered with wildflowers.  One area near Lake Elsinore (not so far from where these were taken) was closed down by the authorities last Sunday due to the massive and unmanageable influx of visitors who came to see the "superbloom" resulting from all the rain we've had this year.

Yellow Suncaps in background with Desert Sand Verbena in foreground

A massive field of Desert Lupine with Desert Marigold in the foreground

California Poppies

Coachella Preserve Visitor Center

Signpost showing two trails to the San Andreas Fault

Below:  The entrances to the two different trails leading to the San Andreas Fault (which is actually under the entire area).  The trees are California Fan Palms, the only palm trees native to California.  They obviously haven't had the dead palms trimmed off; the area is home to coyotes, mountain lions, bobcats, snakes, etc., etc.

Look closely to see a person sitting on a bench.  

Below:  The rift showing the Mission Creek strand of the San Andreas Fault

That's it folks!

• DIANE - much better almost spring-like weather here now - can this be the influence of the equinox?!! Not a lot of sunshine today, but warmer and no rain.

ANNETTE - stunning photos what a lovely journey for you, Glad you passed through at such a good time for the "superbloom". I particularly love the Poppies - so clear and bright!. Love the trees too. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are getting some rest now and not rushing about hither and thither!

OH has taken my car for its annual service J will be going out by bus today - costs more than train, but better for where he wants to go. I shall be working on church newsletter - seems to be overloaded with poems this month!
  • Wonderful scenes, ANNETTE! I agree with OG, the poppies are so bright and cheerful. Some of the names seem familiar. Is it possible that I would have seen /been to them when staying in Rancho Mirage, or on the drive from Palm Springs to Rancho Mirage?

Finally, my mind is opening from its winter shutdown. I'm looking forward to some gardening and actually enjoying a walk in the fresh air. I'm tackling some housework that has been ignored! I'll have to watch my eating habits, though. I've never had a sweet tooth but lately seem to need (!) sugary stuff and have discovered Belgian buns..... Just looked at the packaging. A massive 400 calories each bun..... Can hardly believe it.
  • Morning all:

Heather: If you were down that way, you'd have been in the Coachella Valley and very near Lake Elsinore.   Anza Borrego is just a bit farther south.   Palm tree images were very fuzzy (my fault; not the trees).

OG: I imagine you edit newsletter submissions; does that include the poems if the meter is really "off"?

Seeing dermatologist for annual scrutiny this morning (will she peer at my face and sigh "This nose..." again as she did last year?), then physical therapy for torn rotator cuff (but fewer sessions due to great improvement) and tomorrow - oh joy! - a previously unscheduled visit to dentist for ancient crown on ancient molar that is rumbling a bit more each day. :-(     But am also scheduled for two whale count shifts this week. I haven't been out there much this year due to bad weather and trips so am looking forward to that.

Enjoy the spring weather! We have more rain due today so am planning a major attack on weeds tomorrow.

EDIT:  I inadvertently flagged my own post (this one) instead of hitting Edit.  Oh well....   No way to unflag it.

• Just caught up with a few posts. We have been away for a couple of days. We stayed at our favourite hotel in Pitlochry and yesterday met up with a school friend and her husband who live in Fife. That makes 2 meetings with school friends in just one week. How good is that!!!

Saw your comment on facebook OG and I agree that this DAY thing is beyond a joke!
  • HEATHER - if you gave up the sweet buns, you'd probably be tempted by more cheese! Remember: "a LITTLE of what you fancy...."! Good you are feeling more motivated - so maybe you are using more calories anyway! When hairdresser was here, she asked to use our scales (she doesn't have any) because her clothes feel loose! I don't know the result as we are in Kilograms and she is used to Pounds!

ANNETTE - Poems are difficult - I don't do much with them other than correct spelling and try to use punctuation to give them more sense! I hope all the appointments give you good results - and enjoy the whale watches!

DIBNLIB - good that you combined Pitlochry with seeing Fife friends! Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that about happiness, frogs and sparrows!
  • OG - Until I got an email from Asda today I had never heard of International Happiness Day! What a load of rubbish....
    DIBNLIB - good that your trip was good and you enjoyed meeting up with old friends.

I had a pleasant surprise a couple of hours ago. You may remember that I had a radiator replaced in shower room a couple of weeks ago. When they'd finished I ran my fingers along the chrome, on just one part and idly remarked that it felt a bit rough. I wasn't complaining. Well, I hadn't received the bill ( usually within a few days from that firm) and was thinking about phoning them about that ( yes, I know!). This afternoon got a call from the firm asking if they could come and fit another radiator! They had apparently contacted their supplier who has sent another. They've had our custom for years and will continue to do so!
  • Hello! - we have just returned home, and are now sitting down to a decaffeinated mug of tea, and sorting through our vast amount of post. Bonnie has just been collected from my sis in laws, and looks weary, as she has been playing with their dog (if you're confused, my OH has two sisters......).

Too tired to write now, more from me tomorrow.