Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 March 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

• Good to hear from you, bjane. Glad you've recovered from that nasty fall, although I don't blame you for looking down when you're walking, now. I find that I miss some scenic views when out because I worry about tripping over a stone or a tree root! Hope the migraines go away....
  • Annette - what great pictures and how beautiful the dessert looks with that array of flora.

OG - glad you could manage a trip in your scooter.

dibnlib - glad you had a lovely couple of days in Pitlochery. I have an old school friend who lives in Glenrothes and they often go up to an hotel there which is their favourite but not sure which it is.

Weather has been overcast but no rain and a little milder although they reckon it will get a little cooler over the weekend and then milder towards the middle of next week. Swings and roundabouts with the weather.
  • Talking of Aussie, just watched Julia Bradbury's programme travelling through Australia and meeting modern Aussie's. Too short but a great programme.

Lindy, nice to have you back and hope the holiday went well. So sorry to hear about your friend, at least she is at peace now.

Annette - glad they've got rid of them for you, you'll soon be back to your lovely self again.

bjane - nice to hear from you. Do hope that your recovery continues well and that the snow will soon be gone. Stay warm and safe.

OH had his appmt. at the hospital - apparently aneurysm hasn't grown so at present no need to do anything.
  • ANNETTE – We don’t have a national costume. Perhaps Akubra hats could be. That cattle show, Miss Universe, requires girls to parade in national dress. Here are some of the weird and wonderful creatures in past years.

OG – My thoughts on orange for Harmony Day – what colours remain? Greenies have hijacked green, red is for danger, yellow daffodil for cancer, pink for breast cancer, light blue for prostate cancer, lavender for all cancers, etc, etc. Officially - “Orange is the colour chosen to represent Harmony Week. Traditionally, orange signifies social communication and meaningful conversations. It also relates to the freedom of ideas and encouragement of mutual respect.” OK, now I know!

BJANE – I would rather walk into a wall than trip over. Do take care.

• LOL, AQ - I like your idea that you'd rather walk into a wall than trip over! We had huge debate here in the UK about what, if any, national costume we have, when we held the 2012 Olympics. There were no suggestions except perhaps milkmaid types from the middle ages!

Lynette - Thank you for your thoughts. Glad your OH was pronounced OK after his tests recently. It must always be a worry.

More posts from me tomorrow, including brief description of our hols.
  • Good Morning. Dry here but a little misty.

AQ, - I see you've put the link now to the costumes worn: I like the 5th one with the embroidered maps, but they're all certainly rather tacky.

We are getting back to normal here: another washing load to do today, then a big ironing session. I keep putting stuff away which is specifically for travel. I only took 5 pairs of shoes!! - two sandals, one pair crocs for beach walks, I pair flip flops and one pair lace up shoes for travel. In the event, I didn't need the flip flops so will leave them behind next time!

Our apartment was a different one this year, and far more spacious than the little one we used to squeeze into for many years. That was right by the sea, but this one was on the edge of the nearby town and had a good view of the nearby mountains, which I love. We had the pure luxury of a huge fridge freezer, a proper stove, a washing machine and even a dishwasher! (Which we didn't use). We could walk around the town, enjoying the cafes and shops without getting the car out - one night we walked diagonally across the town to go to an Italian restaurant and although it was right from one end of this place to the other, it only took us ten minutes! Photos to come later.....
  • Sounds wonderful, LINDA - have you booked that apartment for next spring?

Weather good so far, but probably rain later. Still hoping OH can hoe, then put cold frames out to warm the soil for planting. A few weeks later than usual! J came home unwell yesterday - tummy bug, so enforced stay at home today (48 hour rule).
  • We're considering going back, as we enjoyed it very much. I'm going to look into it, as there are several other similar apartments in the same block.

Sorry that J is unwell, hope it's one of those 24 hour things.

My OH has been down to the allotment, and planted peas in the greenhouse, plus the start of his potato patch for this year.

Here is a pic of the toy giraffe I bought on the plane home, ready for New Baby's arrival in the summer!

• LINDA - (Thanks for the email). J is fine now but they have this 48-hours rule about staying away with tummy bugs if you work with food or children! OH managed to get one cold-frame out this morning - it is now raining. Would love to plant first row of potatoes next weekend, but realistically it will probably be Easter week. Forgive me, I have forgotten which of your boys is expecting this summer! Cute giraffe!
  • Morning all: Am currently watching on cnn.com the live relay of the spacewalk outside the ISS. The sun is rising on the ISS now.

bjane: Good to see you.   Take care!

Lindybird: New location sounds ideal - within walking distance of everything - except the beach? Gosh only 4 pairs of shoes next trip! :-)

AQ: I guess I'll vote with Lindybird for the traditional evening dress (gray, with embroidered maps). I was looking at the first one - more Maori than aboriginal? - and always find it jarring to see blonde northern European Barbie types done up in costumes so clearly unrelated to their origins. But nobody asked me. :-)

Enjoyed my whale shift yesterday - we saw 6 during my two hours. Apparently, the peak of the adult migration was about 10 days ago when 60 whales were spotted during the 8-hour watch and 50 each the following two days. There'll be a lull now before the moms and calves arrive.