BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2019

Some history of the BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS.     

It is a SWT Nature Reserve near Forfar, Angus, Scotland.    There is no webcam on the nest, and there is no Visitor Centre, only a small Hide with limited car parking spaces. 

MALE - GREEN BF - RINGED HADDO 11 JULY 2004 - FIRST SEEN AT BALGAVIES IN 2008

ONE OF DARREN'S LAST PHOTOS OF GREEN BF FROM 2018

FEMALE - WHITE UF - RINGED CLUNIE CASTLE 9 JULY 2009 - RING NUMBER 1428309  (SHE DID NOT RETURN TO THE NEST IN 2017)

Remembering the lovely WHITE UF 

FEMALE - UNRINGED - OCCUPIED THE NEST IN 2017 - and produced a brood of three. 

BLUE YD - RUNG AND SATELLITE TAGGED BY K. BROCKIE AND ROY DENNIS 17 JULY 2012

He has been sighted several times in the Eden Estuary and also Balgavies in the last few years

ALL SUBSEQUENT BROODS HAVE NOT BEEN RINGED.

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2018

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2017

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2016

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2015

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2014

LATEST POST FROM BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS FACEBOOK PAGE - CHANCE TO GUESS DATES OF ARRIVAL OF GREEN BF AND MRS GREEN BF

ANOTHER SNIPPET OF INFORMATION THAT CAME TO LIGHT LAST YEAR WAS.....

• Update from Balgavies

I'm so sad that Green BF has not been seen around, I hope he is ok.

I can't link to the post, but below is Balgavies FB page.

www.facebook.com/.../

• Oh dear it sounds as tho Mrs BF is entering a new phase in her life. It is so sad. But perhaps this has happened over many nests not covered by cams, and this year we are experiencing it on Glaslyn, with Loch of the Lowes hopefully more settled, too. It is so emotional for we, the privileged, who are able to follow it all from the comfort of our homes. But it doesn't make it any easier. I was gutted by Loch Garten and the loss of Odin in 2017, the trials and tribulations of EJ in 2018 with the potential mate in George who singularly failed, and then her non-arrival this year. Just so heartbreaking. We take them to our hearts and of course we get hurt. We have human emotions, Osprey don't, sadly.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thanks Starling for posting Darren's update. Very sad.
  • Its so hard to imagine any of these magnificent birds coming to harm but, sadly, nature doesn't care what an animal looks like.
    I was thinking about the current situation at Glaslyn, what happened at LG and here at Balgavies and like SHEILA, I came to the conclusion that it probably happens more often than we care to think but we just don't see it Doesn't make it any less gutty and sad when we do If we didn't care we probably wouldn't be watching in the first place
  • Checking Balgavies FB page and there has been a couple of updates which I'll add to this thread.

Sadly there has been no sighting of Green BF - I sincerely hope no harm has come to him and that his non appearance has been down to being overpowered by a younger male and he has had no option but to move on.  

On a brighter note, Mrs Green BF is safe and well.  She is now being referred to as BF17 and a new male Blue KR3, ringed in Perthshire 2016 has taken up residence and both have been seen mating.

Here are the latest FB posts detailing the above info and links for further reading and/or to view images

Link to Undernoted Post - May 23  

Link to Undernoted post 24 May

Link to Undernoted Post - 24 May "New Male at the Loch - KR3"

c)  Balgavies Ospreys and all Images copyright of Darren Lawson

• Thank You very much Karen and Starling for posting the Balgavies updates on here, very much appreciated by me.

I have been on holiday for the last 16 days, during the first week the Wifi was painful to say the least, so I decided to have a couple of Osprey free weeks, and just enjoy the holiday. 

As you have posted above Karen there has been no sightings of Green BF for over two weeks now, which is very very sad, he has been such a great provider at Balgavies over the years.  I am hoping that before the end of the season he will be sighted at one of his usual fishing haunts.   If no sightings by the end of the season we can only presume the worse, although I think I will always have that glimmer of hope that he will be one of those Ospreys that comes back from the dead, like a few others have over the years after similar incidents. 

At least the female stayed at the nest and now with the new male KR3 there is a chance that Balgavies will go on to keep being a productive nest, if not this year then future years. 

I will post Darren's photos here as once again they are such wonderful photos.   

Not only has Green BF left a legacy of many chicks over the years, thanks to Darren there is a wonderful gallery of photographs of him too. 

© DARREN DAWSON

• Thanks everybody I have been wondering whether there was going to be any news
    So sad about Green BF Hopefully he is enjoying his retirement somewhere
    Good toknow that Mrs BF aka BF17 is safe and back at the nest and no longer alone
    Gorgeous pictures as always MARY
  • Lovely photos Mary. Thanks to you and of course Darren and good to see you back :-)
  • Hi Mary good to have you back with us again. Lovely updates and pictures.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.