BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2019

Some history of the BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS.     

It is a SWT Nature Reserve near Forfar, Angus, Scotland.    There is no webcam on the nest, and there is no Visitor Centre, only a small Hide with limited car parking spaces. 

MALE - GREEN BF - RINGED HADDO 11 JULY 2004 - FIRST SEEN AT BALGAVIES IN 2008

ONE OF DARREN'S LAST PHOTOS OF GREEN BF FROM 2018

FEMALE - WHITE UF - RINGED CLUNIE CASTLE 9 JULY 2009 - RING NUMBER 1428309  (SHE DID NOT RETURN TO THE NEST IN 2017)

Remembering the lovely WHITE UF 

FEMALE - UNRINGED - OCCUPIED THE NEST IN 2017 - and produced a brood of three. 

BLUE YD - RUNG AND SATELLITE TAGGED BY K. BROCKIE AND ROY DENNIS 17 JULY 2012

He has been sighted several times in the Eden Estuary and also Balgavies in the last few years

ALL SUBSEQUENT BROODS HAVE NOT BEEN RINGED.

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2018

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2017

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2016

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2015

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2014

LATEST POST FROM BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS FACEBOOK PAGE - CHANCE TO GUESS DATES OF ARRIVAL OF GREEN BF AND MRS GREEN BF

ANOTHER SNIPPET OF INFORMATION THAT CAME TO LIGHT LAST YEAR WAS.....

• So sorry, Mary. It’s impossible not to care about these birds that carve a special place in our hearts.
  • So sad indeed Mary. We get so attached and then something happens or doesn't as is the case this year, and it hits us hard. As you say we keep at it as we get so much enjoyment, in the good times. If it is any consolation, there has been the first hatch at Manton Bay.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I really cannot believe that this has happened after all Mr & Mrs Green BF endured at the start of the season to win their nest from these geese.    As we know and say ... Nature can be so cruel at times.

MARY - if you are reading this, I know you will upset and am unsure if you will be posting.  But as gut wrenching as this is, I have found a couple of updates from Balgavies since your last post and I am going to post them to keep your thread going until you're back.   You know me to be an optimist and I have everything crossed for Green BF and his Mrs safely returning.   

First update yesterday at 14:23 from Balgavies FB.   Such sad reading, but its nature

Second: - 7 hrs ago a photo showing Mrs Green BF and 2 intruders :-(  

But at least we know Mrs Green BF is around and safe.

Third:   6 hrs hours telling us there obviously has been some vicious conflict although I am unsure what osprey this is.  Perhaps one of the two intruders shown above with Mrs Green BF????

copyright:  Balgavies / Darren

• My goodness me, I’ve only just caught up with this nest, what an awful situation. I know it’s nature but it’s very hard to not give a little bit of our hearts to these birds. I hope all the Ospreys are ok.
  • As others have said...it is impossible not to find special placees in ur hearts for these birds and, rightly or wrongly find some even more special As I said before, I was going to give up watching when I heard that Tore and Bynack were no more but now, despite all the tragedies we continue to follow their stories Ones that I still break my heart over are too many to mention but them am uplifted by such birds as Maya/33; Monty. Mrs G;Aila and Louis; Clarach...........
    i so hope Mrs Green BF is OK and can return to her nest and, if not wishful thinking, that Green BF does too
  • Always nice to see a photo of Blue YD.  Here he is flying over Forfar Loch yesterday.

Credit Lorraine Culloch / Balgavies Ospreys FB

Link to FB and a couple of more pics

• Thread update from Balgavies FB page -

15 May - female on nest identified as Mrs Green BF and no sign of any others around.  Sadly still no sighting of Green BF.

Darren has advised in a later post that he is going to try and get there tomorrow so hopefully we will get another update on what is happening albeit all very, very, sad.

• thanks Karen, some very sad going-on's presently, lets hope things settle down & these youngsters learn some manners.
  • Cathy, it is an absolute sin what has happened here.

This thread with Green BF and his mate(s) has always been a joy to read with Mary's updates and Darren's stunning photos.

We can only hope that Green BF turns up safe and sound to join his Missus who thankfully is OK. Fingers crossed for his safe return.
  • I couldn't agree more Karen. Mary is obviously devastated, which is understandable, and Darren, has lost one of his most photogenic subjects.

I'm hoping too, for his safe return, and things can return to normal.