BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2019

Some history of the BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS.     

It is a SWT Nature Reserve near Forfar, Angus, Scotland.    There is no webcam on the nest, and there is no Visitor Centre, only a small Hide with limited car parking spaces. 

MALE - GREEN BF - RINGED HADDO 11 JULY 2004 - FIRST SEEN AT BALGAVIES IN 2008

ONE OF DARREN'S LAST PHOTOS OF GREEN BF FROM 2018

FEMALE - WHITE UF - RINGED CLUNIE CASTLE 9 JULY 2009 - RING NUMBER 1428309  (SHE DID NOT RETURN TO THE NEST IN 2017)

Remembering the lovely WHITE UF 

FEMALE - UNRINGED - OCCUPIED THE NEST IN 2017 - and produced a brood of three. 

BLUE YD - RUNG AND SATELLITE TAGGED BY K. BROCKIE AND ROY DENNIS 17 JULY 2012

He has been sighted several times in the Eden Estuary and also Balgavies in the last few years

ALL SUBSEQUENT BROODS HAVE NOT BEEN RINGED.

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2018

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2017

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2016

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2015

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2014

LATEST POST FROM BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS FACEBOOK PAGE - CHANCE TO GUESS DATES OF ARRIVAL OF GREEN BF AND MRS GREEN BF

ANOTHER SNIPPET OF INFORMATION THAT CAME TO LIGHT LAST YEAR WAS.....

• Thanks Mary, stunning photos from Darren as usual.
    I visited Balgavies 3-4 times in past weeks.
    I only saw the female. Blue KR3 was not around, but I didn't spend much time there: with no chicks this year, events are rare and not very exciting, difficult to stay more than a couple of hours without getting bored.
    I join you in hoping for a better season next year, at all nests.
  • Thanks MARY I have missed you not posting but guessed the reason Itoo keep looking at my picture of our dearest EJ and feeling overwhelmingly sad still can't take in that she is gone

Thanks so much for another outstanding collection of Darren's incredible photos of the oh so handsome male

I toohope next year at Balgevies is successful and that another wonderful pai claim Loch Garten nest I haven't been able to look at it this year It seems all wrong for EJ not to be there and for no other ospreys to carry on the tradition
  • Hi Roberto

I did wonder if you had been to Balgavies this season, as I knew you probably would be in Scotland at some point, I just returned from Italy yesterday morning ha ha... so we are doing our bit for tourism in both countries.   

I did visit Loch Insh several times in July, I hope you managed to see the three chicks there too.  

Lets hope for better times at both LG and Balgavies next year. 

• Thanks Patily, hopefully next season will be better, especially for LG, it is very sad that no ospreys have taken up residence, so everything crossed for next year. 

I do hope that BF17 (Balgavies female) and KR3 make it back from migration next year too.   

We can only wait and see what transpires, 2020  will be here before you know it, when we started watching in 2011 the closed season seemed to take forever, now it just rushes past, must be my advancing years that makes things go quicker now Grinning

• Mary, Thanks to you and to Darren for the lovely photos of the male from another nest in Angus. Fingers crossed that both Balgavies and Loch Garten nests each have a pair of Ospreys in residence and successful and non-traumatic seasons in 2020.
  • Peter Brown took some fab photos of Blue YD at Guardbridge on Friday 23rd August 2019.  

It is brilliant to hear that he has been sighted and is safe and well.    I think we can presume that he must have a nest somewhere in the Fife/Angus area as he is usually seen fishing in Montrose Basin, Kinnordy or Guardbridge.   

LINK TO BALGAVIES FACEBOOK PAGE

This little bit of news has made me so happy Grimacing

• Good Morning MARY Nice to see you hear and with good news about Blue YD Thank you Makes me happy too MARY Going to look at your link
  • Fantastics photos and I see he still has his tracker What a pity it stopped working we would know for certain where he may have a nest/mate/family
  • Good to see you are still with us Mary.
  • MaryGK said:

Peter Brown took some fab photos of Blue YD at Guardbridge on Friday 23rd August 2019.  

It is brilliant to hear that he has been sighted and is safe and well.    I think we can presume that he must have a nest somewhere in the Fife/Angus area as he is usually seen fishing in Montrose Basin, Kinnordy or Guardbridge.   

LINK TO BALGAVIES FACEBOOK PAGE

This little bit of news has made me so happy 

Ian says:

Quote function doesn't seem to work on this reply.

Excellent news Mary, maybe he is at Tentsmuir Forest, it is nearby. Ian