Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 January 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Don't miss the Total Lunar Eclipse on Sunday night/Monday morning. The moon will be especially close to earth, a so-called supermoon, so the eclipse should be a beautiful sight. Totality (the "blood" moon) begins at:

4:41 a.m. Monday morning in the U.K. 

11:41 p.m. Sunday night in the eastern U.S.

10:41 p.m. Sunday night in Iowa

8:41 p.m. Sunday night in California

Totality (the "blood" moon) will last 62 minutes. The duration of the entire eclipse from beginning to end is 5 hours, 12 minutes. The eclipse is visible in the U.K. and the U.S. Sorry, AQ, not in Australia. 

• Diane-Thanks for reminding me about the eclipse. 

• Pruning roses??? My yard is buried under 9 inches of snow and  we are due for very low temps this week. Does everyone get very small font while typing or is it just me. It posts larger but I can hardly see it while I am typing.

• bjane: I keep forgetting where you are, but was just watching the weather channel and it doesn't look pretty east of the Rockies and even worse the farther east you go.  :-(     What are you typing on?  Tablet?  iPhone? I'm on a laptop and the typeface is smaller as I type this reponse than it is when it posts and gets larger with more leading and kerning (space between lines and space between letters respectively.)

Lynette: Seeing Montserrat would've been fascinating, but glad you zoomed in. I wouldn't want to be close to something like that.  The Caribbean is such gorgeous colors; makes me feel quite deprived here in California.  :-)  Gosh, you really will miss the swimming; that's too bad.  It's such a great exercise. Hope you can find an alternative gym at some point.

• Has anyone seen what is being called “Slow TV”? No commentary, occasional notes on screen with info. Just relaxing watching scenery pass by. Last year we had the Ghan rail trip. This month each Sunday a new Slow TV, 2-3 hours each. First was the Indian Pacific (railway Perth to Sydney), then a Kimberleys boat trip (Broome to Darwin). Last night a boat on the Kennet Bath canal. I was struck by nostalgia – all that lovely birdsong, chirping chattering twittering and the occasional rook. It brought back memories of my travels UpOver.

• AQ: Slow TV?  No, but I think I've heard of it.  We have Boring TV and Stupid TV and - especially these days - Stressful TV. 

We got a good view of the eclipse - some puffy clouds floated in front of it from time to time, but otherwise it was clear  - and extremely bright and large when it rose earlier in the evening.

• Lynette: I think it's your birthday, and I hope you have a wonderful day. 

Fox, U.S. National Parks Service, NPS/Neal Herbert

Photo labeled "Public domain" (copyright free)

• HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Lynette!!  - glad that Diane has reminded us, as OG usually has a good idea of when our birthdays are. I had a list at one time, of most of us, but I've lost it. :-(   Hope you have a good day!

Nice photos of your trip. What a shame you had such wet weather for some of it.

• Very misty and grey here, so although I got up at 4.00am to answer the call of nature, we could not see a thing. Saw some nicely dramatic photos of the blood moon on tv this morning.

I love "slow tv" - we've had an episode of it at around the festive season for several years now. I think the 1st one was the canal one, which I loved. We also had a good bus journey in Yorkshire. Last year it was a reindeer trek which was a bit less interesting. This year it was the Ghan train across Oz, I didn't catch all of it.

• Lindy it was a clear sky up here and saw it in 3 parts whilst dozing inbetween. Mind you as I was in a deep sleep when alarm went off I had to remind myself why I had set it.

Still icy underfoot so dog walking should be s challenge.

• Good that you saw it, WENDY! I didn't:-(

Happy birthday, LYNETTE x 

ANNETTE - happy that you also could see the Wolf Moon. My roses are a mess but the landscaper chap said that all will be done by Spring. I love roses but as OG always said, they are very Labour intensive. I do miss her on here, maybe she is just having a break. I do remember her saying here years ago that if you don't enjoy it, take a break. It is always good to see her when she signs in as EE .

I do struggle a bit when replying using a tablet. The type is so small. 

Thinking always about AQ and DIANE who are having temps that I couldn't cope with. 

LINDY- glad that G was brighter. Also good to read about the cheese,onion and potato pie! I love anything with cheese.... Just had beef casserole for lunch (main meal for me). Made dumplings, enjoyed it!