WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2018

Hallo all!

• That would be interesting, Pat.  It's an astounding achievement, as they said they'd had to build it to withstand collisions from ships, and of course, it's an area where they get really strong typhoons, too. 

I've been off to offload my charity bags, get printer ink, and waltz around M&S, where Ch*****as is already in full swing. Bought some Halloween chocs for the grandchildren,  and some chicken pasties. Then went off to visit my Friend, who was pleased to see me and share the gossip.

• We drive through three short tunnels every time we go to North Wales, it's always rather strange and dark.  I try not to think about how chaotic it would be if some cars collided in there!

• PatO: That's a BIG magazine! The newsletter I did was only a few pages and I had a terrible time getting enough input from volunteers.  Do you also take care of mailing or is it kept at the church? I had to mail the one I did and the USPO regulations regarding third-class mail were ghastly; one of the reasons I gave it up.  Regardless, I can guarantee your replacements will NOT want to take it over after they see how much work it involves.  Did you tell us where you're going for all that time?  Somewhere wonderful I hope.

Lindybird: Cauliflower has also just been "discovered" here. Even saw it on a pizza/flat bread arrangement at the supermarket the other day.   Can cabbage be far behind?   Good of you to be seeing so much of your friend.

I'm not a big bridge fan either. There's one in Los Angeles I used to go over fairly often and I used to think "what if an earthquake struck now?" every time - and that one in Hong Kong is so very long - and underwater too?  Horrors. There's a train track that goes across Lake Pontchartrain outside New Orleans that a bit unnerving; just water on both sides, no visible bank.  And now Elon Musk is drilling a huge tunnel under Los Angeles, though I've read that subway tunnels aren't a bad place to be in an earthquake, but forget why.   When I was in the UK some years back, I mentioned I wanted to take the ferry across to Calais/Boulogne (for old times sake). I was disabused of that possibility pretty quickly and took the Euro tunnel instead, which had me thinking "terrorists."  Just put me behind the wheel of a car on the open road and I'm happy.

We are off to Oregon on Thursday, so need to organize myself for that; we'll be back Tuesday, but I'm taking the laptop anyway to keep an eye on you guys!

• Annette - No, I don't have to mail the magazine, thank goodness.  Most of the 375 copies are delivered by hand, and the twenty or so that are posted are done by someone else.  Once it's printed my responsibility ends, and I move on to next month!

Don't think I've mentioned what I am doing next year, but maybe now is the time to share it.  I am going on a round-the-world cruise, much to my surprise.  Not something on my long-term plan, but there was a good offer, and although I still have itchy feet, I HATE airports with a vengeance.  This seemed to be a good compromise, and I have a savings bond that is not doing anything so I may as well spend it.  It's a massive undertaking for a single traveller, and I am naturally rather nervous, but I'm sure I'll meet up with like-minded people on the ship.  I am already loading up memory sticks with music, and am in the process of buying a Kindle which I will load up with books.  My laptop goes everywhere with me, but I won't have much internet access - costs a fortune on the ship!  Any suggestions of books I might enjoy would be gratefully received.  Not keen on who-dun-its, but like family sagas, historical novels and biographies.  And anything really 'different'.

Must stop rambling … sorry to have taken up so much space.

• PatO: Your plans sound fabulous - and you'll have a wonderful time. Traveling solo will be no problem; you can come and go as you please and do what you want when you want.  When are you going? And what's the itinerary?  Will try to come up with some book recommendations.  :-)  Bravo!  After all, you can't take it with you.

• I leave on 05 January.  I'll work out a short enough itinerary to post on here - the full one runs to about six A4 pages!

• I was going to suggest ANNETTE for book suggestions, PAT!

As ANNETTE says, you can't take it with you. I am a homebird so wouldn't be away that long, but am thrilled for you x

• WOW PAT!! -- That's wonderful.... gosh, I'm jealous -   I'd just love to come with you!   (But commitments won't allow, LOL!)  It sounds like an opportunity to grab with both hands. Don't forget to take a camera!

I have a friend who lives alone, and she constantly saves up her pennies for "the next cruise".  Sometimes she goes with a friend whose husband doesn't mind being left behind, but other times she goes alone. She says it's no problem at all, and she's always well looked after. 

By the way, lots of ships seem to have libraries, and most of them have somewhere where people leave paperbacks they've discarded - you could sample some of those if you get bored, but somehow I don't think you will!

• Lindy - I'm going on the same ship as I went on for my Baltic cruise last month.  They do have a library, which is pretty 'dry'.  And they also have a book exchange - I did have a book from there last time.  But there wasn't a lot of choice, and only one appealed.  I never go anywhere without my camera!  And Rule Number One is - download from the camera to the computer every evening - or else it's not always easy to remember which picture was where!

• The good thing is that you'll instantly feel at home on the ship, then :-)

I loved sailing from Southampton last year, without flying. And at least you can take more weight in your luggage.