Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 September 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK! Also, HAPPY EQUINOX and HAPPY FULL HARVEST MOON! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful new season. 

Full Moon at Turret Arch, Arches National Park, Utah USA
U.S. National Park Service photo
Credit: NPS/Neal Herbert
Photo labeled Public Domain (copyright-free)

• Lynette: Do hope they can get you sorted out once and for all.

AQ: Spain?  Is this a vacation for daughter and SiL?  

Diane: Thank you for all those dates and times.  I shall keep my eye out for the harvest moon tomorrow!

Hi to all - here's to a good week for everyone.

• Good morning – enjoying this wee summer in autumn – puts a smile on everyone’s face!  But we frightened ourselves this morning by making a list of all the garden jobs to be completed before winter!

Wendy – always have a chuckle at your dogs’ love of their home comforts!  Eye still a bit bruised – thanks for asking – don’t remember this with the first one – but sight is excellent.

Lynette – sorry to se you have an ENT problem – don’t think you mentioned it before – or is it connected with the falling over – eg Labyrinthitis?  Whatever, I hope it is sorted next week.  Well, to us the cream cakes were extremely naughty – we hardly ever have them, and I would certainly never eat one in an evening!

AQ – wish 10 minutes could make an impact in our garden – more like 10 days needed here!  What a contrast between your Daughters – one needing help with three littlies, and the other able to leave her grown-up children and jet off to Europe – you haven’t mentioned that family for a long time, how are your Granddaughter and Grandson doing?

Annette – hope you are enjoying time to yourself now, as well as catching up on paperwork and garden, of course!  Have you heard from your Niece since her flight home?

Both our youngsters have moved into their uni accommodation and intend to make their mark there.  GDau, at York, is determined to enjoy “freshers week”, but GNiece at the Conservatoire in Glasgow has to get down to work straight away – 10 o’clock every morning to start, then classes at 8 o’clock from next week!

Heard a loud noise and OH came to tell me two Hawk Trainers (Red Arrows type) were flying “up the road”; garden Robin objected and flew up onto the roof ridge to challenge them!  Need to make myself useful for the rest of the morning until we go for lunch and shopping.  Best wishes to all.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Morning all:  We are losing power here today for telephone/utility pole replacement so will be offline until it's sorted.  Wonder how the woodpeckers will take to having their favorite pole removed..

OG: Have talked to niece several times since she arrived in NY, where she's wearing out her shoes going to all the museums, etc.  She flies back to Heathrow tonight and I suspect she'll be decompressing for a couple of days.   At least she is going back to a few days of sunshine so the change won't be too much of a shock. Meanwhile  I'm enjoying not having to do anything in terms of chauffeuring, etc. 

• LYNETTE- I hope that you can get things sorted out at the ENT clinic. I don't know which cruise line LINDY is with. Her unhappiness was initially caused when they cancelled her cruise back in the Spring - someone had booked the entire ship and all existing bookings were null and void.

OG - hope shopping and lunch went OK! I'm still worrying about the garden, family say that I'm getting a bit over worried, it isn't that bad.

ANNETTE- it will take a while for you to feel completely relaxed, I'm certain. Your OH will be enjoying home made meals again :-)

Not much doing here, I've a week before my brother and his wife arrive. She is enquiring about getting some dental treatment here, a bit unhappy with her French dentist. I've told her that it will cost her an arm and a leg, here! She has neglected her teeth since moving to France.

• Thanks for your concerns.   Apparently last time I saw the consultant last year he ruled out cancer and said it was probably a salivary stone.  As a followup in May never materialized I left it hoping one might be forthcoming but no.  However as I said before it flared up in June and then again in August so hopefully they will do something when I go next month.

OG - well at least G.Dau can enjoy herself for a little while longer but as for G.niece, wow, straight to work so to speak. I take it is probably music that she is taking up or something in that line. Hope your s-in-l can get some satisfaction over here although as you said, it will cost.

AQ - well done you for that bit of gardening . Hope Dau and OH enjoy their trip to Spain. Quite a long way for them to travel.

Diane - forgot to say - thanks for starting off the new week. Happy Harvest Moon and Autumn Equinox to you.

• Annette – Dau & s-i-l on holiday for 3 weeks.

OG – Ten mins in garden makes no difference, but if I stay longer, I start to wheeze. Dratted pollen. I haven’t mentioned Dau#1 as we rarely hear from her. If I phone, conversation is one-sided. I haven’t heard from senior g-chn for months. Occasionally news via grapevine. <sigh> I have given up chasing after.

Lynette – Aussies are used to long flights. I think this is about 22 hours, plus a 2½ hour stopover in middle.

• Good morning, All.  Yesterday’s dry weather was not entirely 100% - we had occasional mizzle and even drizzle, but mostly it was very pleasant.  Lunch and grocery shopping were okay and we then called at our nearest garden centre on the way home.  After hot chocolate and toasted teacake, we had a wander outside in the plant area – just to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.  There were a lot of decorative berry plants, but we decided that they could become very messy after being “processed” by the birds!

Heather – unusual for your Sister-in-Law to come with your Brother!  I am not sure she will be able to get dental treatment at short notice, and it will certainly cost her £££!  I hope you will enjoy their visit.

Lynette – So annoying when you expect a follow-up appointment and don’t get one; our Son is still awaiting his eye muscle surgery so I have suggested, now my cataract is over and done with, he should phone and chase them – for one thing, he needs a new lens prescription, but doesn’t want to be spending out twice!  GNiece is actually studying Musical Theatre, which will entail classes for singing, acting and dance – not sure if they also study production, stage design, sound and lighting too; she has done them all as an amateur.  The sister in law hoping to see a dentist isn’t mine, she belongs to Heather!

AQ – elder Daughter situation sounds like ours – only news we get is from the Granddaughters on Facebook!  Don’t hear from other Daughter so much since I annoyed her by speaking to her ex and his new wife at a party.  I believe all is well in her new marriage.

Eye has been troubling me by feeling itchy/gritty.  I phoned the eye clinic and they said I can use extra of my normal eye drops as it sounds like an increase in my dry eye symptoms, but to phone again later in the week if I need further help.  Very pleased with the improvement in my vision.

We’ve both been busy preparing tomatoes for the freezer – some as the base for sauces, and others skinned and frozen whole; they are nearly at an end.  Cucumbers are almost finished – just one more nearly ready to eat – and Courgettes and Beans depend on whether they are defeated by frost or wind!  The garden flowers are looking very blown around after last week’s storm, but we shall leave them until there is no colour left.  A Woodmouse decided to die on the deck this morning – either a spinal injury (from cat damage) or brain damage (possibly from finding poison somewhere) – very sad.

Another sunny day, but with increasing breeze and then rain tonight.  I think OH will be busy indoors – unless he postpones to tomorrow so he can get outside today.

• OG - Yes, unusual for sis in law to visit. I've told them that because her dental crown keeps coming off and repairs have not been long-lasting there must be a reason....

Reply was that the piece of tooth that they leave to attach the crown to has deteriorated. So they know that the next route is either a dental plate or implant - cost of latter is more than they can afford. Strange that she thought that my dentist could come up with something that no other has managed to do.

• HEATHER - wishful thinking, I suppose - or denial over the deterioration!  Lucky she doesn't have an abscess in the remaining part of the original tooth - then she would be grateful just to have it out and have a gap!

• Good afternoon, everyone.  Returned from my lovely Baltic cruise this morning.  Saw some wonderful places, did and saw most of the things I wanted to.  Sadly, The Hermitage, which was almost at the top of my list, was absolutely PACKED.  We were galloped through and hardly dared to glance at exhibits because it meant taking our eyes off the guide!  If we had lost her we may never have found our way out …  Only one day was wet - VERY wet - so the most I saw of Tallinn was the inside of my umbrella.  And Sunday night was pretty rough, the tail end of the high winds experienced in the UK at the end of last week.

Too tired to write much now - will try to share more when I have cleared the 500+ e-mails from my Inbox and reset my brain.