Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 September 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK! Also, HAPPY EQUINOX and HAPPY FULL HARVEST MOON! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful new season. 

Full Moon at Turret Arch, Arches National Park, Utah USA
U.S. National Park Service photo
Credit: NPS/Neal Herbert
Photo labeled Public Domain (copyright-free)

• I didn't buy it, OG but have same thoughts about the taste! I may get some before the Danes arrive, they love Marmite and cheese for breakfast. We'll see what it is like....

• When I was in hospital last year, OH used to bring me in a cheese scone spread with soft cheese and marmite for my breakfast the next day - alternate days I had Cheddar Crackers and soft cheese.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Don't know about the reduced salt Marmite, but the reduced salt Oxo cubes are fine.  I wouldn't have noticed the difference.  If it's possible to reduce the salt in things without affecting the taste, why doesn't everyone do it?!?!?!?

• SiL won't be going offshore tomorrow after all. The job has 'slipped' - not unusual. Looks like next week, now. They have now decided, weather permitting, to come here after school tomorrow. He will do some Autumn pruning in my garden and we shall have an evening meal together.

PAT- I agree about the salt issue - if the taste is the same, why not just reduce it?

My brother is going to feel the difference in temperature when he arrives here next Tuesday. It was 28° in his part of Brittany today.

• We have reduced salt vegemite, not available at all stores; they are still pushing the “old” version. The taste is different but it did not take long to adjust and I no longer notice the difference. Actually I find many processed foods, esp meat pies are too salty.

Long ago my Physio told me reading in bed was bad for one’s back. It would disturb OH too. Anyway I can easily fall asleep, reading or watching TV, sitting up on the lounge – nanny naps, my friend calls them!

Never a dull moment with nanny duty. This week Dau was sick and I had to collect Miss6 from school. Luckily she is just big enough for a booster seat & adult lap/sash belt, so easy transfer to my car. She fell asleep on drive home. Poor mite had the flu last week and lost 4 kg. I had a longer day than usual helping. Last night Dau phoned to say she has the flu. S-i-l can take time off work today, this is a long weekend (Labour Day), next week is school holidays, but I shall be on stand-by if needed. Fingers crossed I haven’t caught it.

• Good morning

A bright and cold morning here, let us hope for a dry day for garden work.

AQ- your granddaughter has obviously been really poorly and off her food. I hope that she picks up soon - and that you haven't caught the virus.

All this talk about sleeping must have tired me out! I had more sleep than usual last night.

• Gosh, OH always used to keep a certain amount of cash in the ancient safe here in the house. I haven't bothered. So when the garden man texted me this morning to say that he was coming to cut the hedge today I had a bijou panicette ( as my son would say). Never has a shower and hair dry been accomplished in so little time! I ran to town, ran to bank. Then when he arrived and I gave him the money, he said 'No worries, Heather, I would have collected it any time'.

• Morning all:  Our frog is back! For two days now he's been croaking loudly in the same location as last year. But where has he been? I've finally(!!) started taking the Valencia oranges off the tree and OMG they are wonderfully sweet.  Have three buckets full and those are just the ones I picked from walking around and pulling off. The ladder is next (yes, I'll be very careful and won't climb into the tree like I used to); then the long and very unwieldy basket-on-a-stick for the ones at the top.

AQ: I also hope you didn't catch any of those germs.

Lynette: I love porridge (oatmeal here) in colder months - with raisins. Yum. Keeps me going for a long time.  

OG: How was your night out?

Rosy: How did the planting planning go? I'm taking out things that are past their prime and not putting in anything else at this point.  Our drought is still very much a concern.

Heather: Good that SiL is cleared for work.

Re Marmite, have never tasted it so can't comment, but have discovered Almond Butter, which I have on whole wheat toast with honey/jam.

Off to Costco this morning, then the gym.  Was horrified to find out how puny I was when I started using the weights again this week after all the time I've missed this year.   

Have studiously avoided watching TV this last day, preferring to bang my head against the wall in despair......

Weather has definitely cooled here, so it's back to sorting files - and photos from trip.  Stay tuned.

• ANNETTE- can guess what you are avoiding listening/watching. I heard it several times last night. Maybe that is why I slept better than usual! Tears etc from accuser and defender. And they call the current younger generation 'snowflakes'!

• Heather: My mother always said "Believe nothing of what you hear and only 50% of what you see."  Other than that, I don't know, but I was against his nomination anyway.