Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 September 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK! Also, HAPPY EQUINOX and HAPPY FULL HARVEST MOON! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful new season. 

Full Moon at Turret Arch, Arches National Park, Utah USA
U.S. National Park Service photo
Credit: NPS/Neal Herbert
Photo labeled Public Domain (copyright-free)

• Welcome back, Pat. Glad that you enjoyed your holiday overall.

That was the advantage of visiting The Hermitage in February- no crowds. It was worth trudging through the snow!

Sorry about sleep problems, OG and Heather. Fortunately, I don't have any difficulties so far. I fall asleep when I am reading.

Off to inspect the garden. Meeting with gardener tomorrow to plan autumn replacement planting. That sounds rather grand! I think you all know we have a communal garden.

• I hope that you and the gardener decide on a good planting plan, ROSY. After high winds last night, I have loads of windfall pears and apples. The garden needs a lot of autumn work. The garden bin collection ceases in November. No pressure.....

• Morning all:  Just finished my blathery column for the magazine (everyone, including me, was somewhat late this month).

OG: Don't worry about missing details - I've barely managed to keep up with them myself this entire year.   Do you have allergies that cause you to cough first thing? I have inhalers for those times of year when that can happen.  

Heather:  I could probably live in one large room with various sitting/snoozing/entertainment/communication arrangements, although I gather that we're supposed to use the bedroom for sleeping only and that those having problems sleeping aren't even supposed to read in bed!  I love reading in bed with my first cup of coffee and last thing at night. And if I wake up during the night, I reach for my book..... It is cozy indeed.

PatO/Heather: Couldn't listen to the radio in bed - I'd just get upset at stories of political stupidity and suffering and be up all night fuming! I mean, the mere sight of the Orange Menace (even muted!) sends me into conniptions.  We get the BBC World Service on our local National Public Radio station from 10 pm to 4 am Mon-Fri, plus something called The World, which is a partnership with the BBC and other Public Radio stations, from 2-3 pm and 7-8 pm weekdays, along with other NPR-produced news programs throughout the day.  By the time the evening TV news shows come on, I've had quite enough, while OH is settling in to hear the latest outrages.

DIane: Moon has been fabulous here!  :-)

It's niece's birthday today; sent her an e-card and just got a reply that she's snoozing in her garden under a hot sun.  Meanwhile, overcast and cool here with the sun fighting it's way out.

Hallo to everyone else!  Off to see what else I've missed doing!

• Annette,   just had to google "conniptions". I see what you mean. The OM featured large on our news this evening.

• How lovely Pat O, pleased your cruise was successful in that you have seen lots of wonderful places.

Been another sunny day and quite warm down here with cooler nights and my are they drawing in, still managed to get the washing outside.

Talking about dentists - I eventually had to have a bridge made for a front tooth as the original tooth broke (it being filed for a crown) and then had to have root treatment. Having one or two teeth missing I had a bridge made top and bottom as at the time it would have cost £200 for just one tooth. I'm sure it must be more than that now.  I don't always wear the bridges.

OG - hot cross bun sounds delish, had my first porridge of the season today. Another thing, I love marmite and had sandwiches for lunch yesterday. Saw the tail end of a programme today on food myths etc and it gave Marmite as being quite a healthy spread.

Talking about sleep, I find it difficult at times. I sleep sitting up for reasons I won't go into but if I can't sleep I come down, put the tele on and snuggle up with the duvet on a reclining chair and watch catchup tele it often lulls me off to sleep.

• Coming back from a church meeting last night the Harvest moon was brilliant in the sky.

• Good morning – sunny Thursday!

Everything improved through yesterday – no more problem with dry throat, eye doing well with much increased routine lubricating eyedrops and even the legs were working!  J is now wearing a support on one of his knees – I think he sought advice at Boots pharmacy when in Dumfries yesterday.  We even got through our to do now list - but plenty still on the ongoing list!

Heather - I basically agree with your Danes about the “sleeping room”, although I also agree that a child’s (teenager’s) room is often a sanctuary, but I think it is more usual to grow out of that as an adult with a family.  J actually set off on time for work today – he himself had commented on yesterday’s early start!  Interesting about breakfasts, but even if I am bucking the world trend, I can’t eat the same meal day after day!  I need variety, even in the early morning, and however hungry I am!  I had a lovely cherry scone today, and some canned mandarin oranges.

Rosy – I don’t have sleep problems in the same way as Heather and Pat’s insomnia – I just wake up frequently with leg pain.  I hope agreement is reached with the gardener over the winter planting plan.

Annette – I agree with those who say we shouldn’t have entertainment, communications etc in the bedroom – and as for eating or drinking in bed, no way!  One of my Daughters loves breakfast in bed, but that’s not for me – can’t even sit up in bed (except for breathing needs), and those hotel TVs on the wall are useless to me!

Lynette – Marmite is a healthy option, as long as you count the overall salt content in your daily diet.  I like it with peanut butter, or more traditionally with cheese!

OH home from Tesco and having a slow day today to conserve energy for an evening out!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• I guess that I'm having my second childhood, then, OG!

A wet and miserable day, here today. I will go out in a wee while, though. Middle daughter got soaked on her way back from work - she had waterproof jacket on but her trousers were sopping wet.

My youngest son in law is due to go offshore tomorrow - first time since the bleeding ulcer episode when he had to be airflifted off the rig. Back to the same rig which we all see as a good thing.

LYNETTE/OG - I love Marmite on hot buttered toast.

• PS - I saw reduced salt Marmite in Tesco this morning. 25% less salt.

• Hey, that's good - may give it a try - if it still tastes like Marmite.  We put a teaspoon of marmite in our mushroom soup - deepens the flavour.

Will be thinking of your s-in-l back to the rig tomorrow - and your daughter and the girls, who will miss him horribly at first, after so long at home.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!