Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 12 August 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a peaceful, wonderful week. 

Wolf, Yellowstone National Park 
U.S. National Park Service, NPS/Jacob W. Frank
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Glad you're improving somewhat, FB. Hope it continues.

We've had driving rain, and it felt much colder this afternoon. This morning was just well, dampish, so we walked in one of our favourite places where there are good mountain and sea views, and we went for a warming drink in a cafe overlooking the sea, where I had a hot chocolate with mini marshmallows on top. We talked to a French family there, and then an Australian couple - there are many nationalities here, enjoying the lovely scenery. 

It's stopped raining now and the weather is supposed to improve.

• Bonnie's Blog:

This morning we all went for a good walk - well, it was good for me, as after only a few yards of leaping around in the gorse and the purple heather, I found to my joy a nice pile of sheep's poo to roll over in. It made all my white bits look rather green and strange, but never mind, I felt great!

Sadly, for some reason, as soon as we got back to where we all sleep here, I was put out on the grass and my Dad washed me with an awful sweet smelling shampoo stuff and warm water. I was quite uncomfortable about it, until I was finally towelled down and allowed indoors, where I gave myself a really good shake, twice, to get rid of all that water. It made lots of marks on the wooden cupboards, but at least I've recovered now......

• OG - Interesting about the Jackdaw.   We are thrilled to have recently heard and seen some Buzzards near our house, after losing the three or four regulars we had, because the local farmer had put out two bird scarers to protect his crops this spring. Now it's all quiet again, we're hoping they will settle by us once more.

My OH climbed a ladder to cut more chunks off our apple tree, and suddenly found himself eye to eye with a pigeon sitting on a nest! I had seen the pigeon going back and forth, and thought it might have taken over the now redundant magpies nest, but this nest is below that one. He left it in peace, and won't disturb it until we think they're gone.

• Not been on for a few days.   See there has been a lot of posts full of news of what you are doing.

FB - continue to improve and hope you feel relatively normal again, soon.

Didn't get to the gym this week for swims as Tuesday we went up to Worsley to see my brother and his partner and had lunch together. Met at family home and at last there is something good to report. House was sold in May to a new developer who has started work already. Put in a new kitchen and other bits and bobs. Lime plastering has to have permission from Heritage England before that can go ahead - when it does it will a few months as each coat has to dry out before the next one can be applied. Still, things are moving at last which is somewhat of a relief. Thursday saw me visiting the hospital again after the previous weeks visit to see the neurology consultant. Had to have an electrical nerve conduction test which has turned out healthy, no trace of Parkinsons. Apparently the trembling/giving way sensation is something I have to learn to live with, so nothing ominous which is great news.

Whatever you are all doing over the weekend, have a good one.

• Sun shining most of day, washing in garage so it missed showers. Very chilly with a wind straight from Antarctica. Brrr.

• Good Morning.  Dry here after a very wet afternoon yesterday, only stopping heavy rain as we got ready for bed. Looks like a not too bad day, today.

Lynette: Good news that it's not Parkinson's, you must be relieved. Also good that you've heard that there's a new landlord for your family house, perhaps something will get done now.

• Not wet, not dry – just damp and windy.  A laid-back Saturday, I think.

Linda – pleased you managed a walk and hot chocolate yesterday.  That’s the trouble with pigeons when you want to trim trees – you are normally careful to avoid nesting times, but pigeons do it all year round.  They seem to be very prolific this year – recently had three juveniles here – one of whom was very inept at landing and taking off in the Sambucca!

Bonnie – up to your old tricks, I see!

Lynette – pleased you got up to Worsley and were able to see progress at your Brother’s house.  Also, good news that you don’t have Parkinson’s.

AQ – not envying you that Antarctic chill!

Got to sort some tomatoes – some to eat, some to cook, some to freeze!

• A bright morning here, so back to the garden. not sure if I'm happy about that or not! I used to enjoy it so much, now it seems like a chore,

LYNETTE - Good news for you - I'm so glad.

FB - Glad that the injections are helping. You must be feeling so much better.

GILLIAN - You have certainly  had a busy life. My eldest daughter used to make cakes for friends but had to stop when her work/life balance went askew. She still works as a part time nail technician in addition to her full time work at a local childrens' nursery.

ANNETTE - I can't remember, has your niece been to the US before? I know that you will make sure that she has a great holiday - as you say - she deserves it. As for the carpet - you will be moving furniture and I bet that next year you will be moving it again because you will fit new carpets :-)

BONNIE - you rascal, you! Now, settle down and let Mum and Dad have a restful few days....

AQ - I too, thought that the sausages would be brown!

My son has been told that his blood pressure is very high. He is quite a lot overweight, has been for years. Now he must work a bit harder to lose the weight and hopefully reduce his blood pressure. His GP would prefer that he made lifestyle changes before 'slinging medication' at him. That fits in with my own philosophy so I was pleased to hear that, last evening.

• HEATHER - no chance of gardening here, although OH did just pop out between showers to fetch in some lettuce and runner beans, the latter of which are suddenly doing really well.  Sorry about your son's BP, not surprising with stress of three children!  But seriously, I know what it is like trying to adjust it with weight control.

• Morning all:  Windows got cleaned yesterday and OMG - there's and entire world outside, and flowers and green stuff too!  Meanwhile, can't believe I have to whip up yet another batch of sugar water for the hummingbirds!  I shall have to have a word.....

Lynette: What a relief there's some movement on the house!  That's been a long hassle.  Glad the Parkinson's test came back negative.  

FB: Hurray for making it up the High Street with less bother!  :-)

Gillian: Haven't watched any of the American baking shows.  I did see a bit of one but everyone seemed very stressed-out, but maybe you're talking about Ace of Cakes in Baltimore.  It's on the Food Channel here which - ahem - I don't watch, being more interested in eating than cooking.

Lindybird: I love meeting people from overseas; used to meet a lot more when I was working at the rose garden at the old Santa Barbara Mission.

OG: Thanks for explaining INSET..  Enjoy the tomatoes!

Heather:  We will move the lightweight stuff; the cleaners will move the heavy stuff (though there's not much of that and a couple of pieces we won't move at all!)  Yes, niece came with my sister, BiL and her brother when she was about 14; then stopped by California en route to OZ when she was in her late 20s.  She hasn't been to Santa Fe (the memory of which apparently sends my BiL into a wistful reverie), so we're doing this time as part of the trip.  Must confess I'm also feeling that the gardening is becoming a chore at times.  Sorry, I've lost thee plot with regard son(s)???.  Hope he can make the necessary changes.   I suspect my UK nephew has the same problem, but with a stressful job and three kids I can't see it happening any time soon. (Ah, now I read OG's post that your son also has three kiddies.)   I can't remember my own parents being anywhere near so involved in my school/social life. Then, again, I don't think I had a social life at that age......

Diane: Hope you enjoy the concert tonight and the week in Indianapolis.

Back later to start the new thread.