OFF-SEASON OBS, LOCH GARTEN NEST, 07 August 2018 ~ March 2019

EDIT

Late in the day I changed the title of this thread from "DU" to "Off-Season Obs" ~ anyone is welcome to suggest a better title than the current one :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No osprey presence yesterday, but in the evening a visit from an osprey nemesis ;)

TIGER has reminded us that we mustn't jump the gun when our ospreys don't appear on-cam, or even at the Centre, for a day or two, so we wait...

• Well done, and thank you Mike for raising our concerns with HQ, and thank you Elliott for taking these on board.
  • From scylla 
    21 Feb 2019 4:11
    Who was this? It looked very large when it first caught my eye. This is cropped, so very blurry, but I couldn't even see blue in the uncropped version.
    Not sure. It walks in a way similar to a pigeon/dove. I wonder whether it was a jay, particularly with the barred tail?

• Bob, I can tell you that RF and posting of photos was certainly discussed. After that it was clear that Elliott was aware of, and had read , all of the posts here and elsewhere on the Community. I did ask that he or his staff respond on the threads when they have the opportunity and emphasised the frustration caused by not doing so. I get the impression that resources are stretched so I can only hope our chat will go some way to concentrating the teams' efforts in the direction of our posts.
    The important thing seems to be highlighting the issues as they are clearly monitored
    How quickly the changes can be implemented is another matter.
  • SheilaFE said:
    I wonder whether it was a jay, particularly with the barred tail?

Thank you, SHEILA :)  I don't remember Blue Jays in Scotland and haven't got any in my UK videos - where've I been?  Don't answer! ;-D

• We Will Try again Hi everyone Were have you been Scylla ??? Second Thoughts Don't answer that.
    as i mentioned on another page a while ago I think it maybe a Collared Dove ? Sheila Jay's tend to hope
    Rather than run
  • Scylla, Blue Jays are in North America, particularly east of the Rockies and a bit up into southeastern Canada (there are other Jays in western North America). See here: www.allaboutbirds.org/.../id . We have our own shy but gorgeous Jay here. See: www.rspb.org.uk/.../ .

Edit:  The larger bird in the video behaves like a member of the Dove/Pigeon family in my opinion.

• TREVOR - Thank you - I did see you mention Collared Dove on another occasion but this one was distinctly (if there was anything distinct about it !!! ) blue and had a barred tail - so if it were (as per GardenBirder's info) in North America I'd've said Yes!

Ann-GB - I misled you there, I do know the Blue Jay rather well from my virtual travels ;-D

This is one of my favourite YT channels, a family have 2 cams on their "backyard feeders", one on the danglers and another underneath them, and here's a video I did but made unlisted as I wasn't certain of permissions:

As well as hundreds of birds (sparrows, northern cardinals, American blackbirds, grackles, corvids, mourning doves, etc etc), you see squirrels, including black ones, opossums, raccoons, skunks, and hardy rabbits.

• Hi everyone. On the odd occasion I've managed to watch on the webcam, there's no/very few birds. I've got a friend who's keeping an eye on the cam more regularly and she's had no better luck. Any of you folks seeing more? No sign of the crestie in a very long time for me.