WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, AUGUST 5 2018

Hope everyone has a good week.

• Spending the afternoon doing little bits of “this and that” and not achieving much to show for it!

AQ – I think your brief lurk was well-deserved, but we do miss news from DownUnder when we don’t see you for a few days and are pleased to hear when all is well.  I wonder what MissJ’s “weird” book was?  So good to know that Miss6 enjoys reading!  Sounds as if your weather is as silly as ours!

Gillian – what a lovely place to live – my favourite part of Fife.  My particular favourite harbour is Dysart – although it is part of Kirkcaldy, the harbourmaster’s house and surrounding area are great to visit.  I like to see the Rock Doves calling from their nooks and crannies in the wall – I know they are usually called pigeons, but I prefer to think of these as the original Rock Doves (which “they” claim are restricted to the West).  You certainly have access to some good quality soup ingredients in your area, with all the farm shops.  Last time we were there, George introduced us to Blacketyside shop and café, near Leven.  We didn’t go to Pillars of Hercules as our planned day in and near Falkland was the one day which was rained off – we got so wet in Falkland going to a coffee shop, that we went back to our hotel with sandwiches etc for the rest of the day!  Do you and your partner just have one Daughter each?  We have two Daughters and a Son (he lives with us).  The Grandchildren are all adults now, and we have one Great Grandchild and another expected in October.  They are all spread from Muir of Ord in the North of Scotland to County Durham in NE England.

Well, I hope everyone is having a good Saturday – if OH was at home, he would be working in the garden, and I would be out there with him.  Think I’ll wander out now, just for some fresh air – it is a lovely day, and rain forecast tomorrow.

• Morning all:

Diane: I was busy futzing on the computer late and stayed up, hoping the rocket would go early in the launch window, but gave up when the "no go" hold seemed to be permanent.  I can start off the next thread if you like. :-)

Lindybird:  Congrats to your OH on his win (one more thing to dust?)   :-)   Thanks for explaining bridge camera.

Heather:  Oh don't remind me about those awful swim caps that scrunched up our faces and foreheads.  Ugh.  I never did learn to swim properly (apparently not uncommon in UK types of our generation).  I also have that weed killer in my garage; haven't used it for ages and also wonder how many house-cleaning products have similar nasty ingredients.  :-(

PatO:  My grandson and his partner were in Paris last fall and didn't even try to see Versailles due to the crowds.   Hermitage sounds a bit like The Louvre - you could get lost in there for days on end...  

OG: Smiled at "silly day ahead." I was hoping to work out in the garden but it's oppressively hot already thanks to humidity caused by tropical storms off Mexico.  They claim it should be better tomorrow.

AQ:  I had visions of you slumped exhausted on a couch surrounded by kiddie books, stuffed toys (oh and knitted sausages!) and a list of things to do - and I wasn't too far off.

Gillian: I don't know Fife at all.  :-(   Was in Scotland for just one night eons ago but got a message that my long-lost cousin (then living in South Africa) had unexpectedly shown up to visit family in Watford and so turned around to go see him. I go back to the UK now and then and keep planning to fly into Edinburgh or Glasgow and spend a few days tootling about, but have yet to do that..  Just Googled Pillars of Hercules and their Cafe Menu, which looks wonderful (Turmeric Latte is a first!).  And that Holiday "Bothy" ("Bothy" is another first for me) looks so inviting.  I was looking at the Gallery page too; everyone looks so young!  Next time your partner is there, maybe have him ask them why the place is so named. It has a mythical origin, but I couldn't find much that seemed an obvious connection. Was Hercules an organic farmer?  :-)).  The ancient definition involved a boundary.....at least that's what Plato seemed to intend. Meanwhile, I suppose it's good partner isn't also vegan.  :-)    Oh, just took a Google Earth tour through your village and the surrounding areas. It does indeed look peaceful.  How far away do your grandkids live?

Now I really must get moving.  I see a breeze has come up - and the hummingbirds have slurped their way through yet another batch of sugar water!!  

• Heather – it was only when Annette replied that I realised I had missed a post from you when mine started the next page!  The worry about the weed killer seems to be mostly connected with using it near food crops or growing veg on treated ground so that it enters the food chain, according to one TV discussion I happened to hear earlier.  I had no choice about swimming lessons when I was at the grammar school, but it doesn’t mean I can swim – it was just the one subject which didn’t enter my brain and I couldn’t learn!

Annette – good to see you.  It’s gone humid here – feels like the evening rain might start very soon – at least that means no watering this evening!  Wet forecast for tomorrow – haven’t made up my mind whether I’ll venture out to church.

OH has arrived home with his hearing aids – and a whole lot of connected paperwork.  Hearing himself speak, he has at last agreed that he lisps!  J has also just arrived, so we shall have a meal soon – a bacon buttie with salad, followed by cherries (Scottish cherries this time!)

• I'm here, but I can't stop!! -  - We said we would get off to bed without being too late, as a busy week ahead.

But I wanted to add my three pennyworth about swimming lessons. When I was at school in Lancashire, we were packed into buses once a fortnight, and sent off for the morning to Southport, where there were large public baths. There, we were supposed to be taught to swim. I say supposed to be, because out of two full classes of children, I doubt if more than half of us actually learned. The instructors got excited by the children who did well, and concentrated on them. Those of us left clinging to the rail just watched the others, and waited for the clock to go around when we could get damply back on the bus, having wasted our time!  Years later, my newly wedded husband expressed dismay that anyone could have missed the opportunity, and encouraged me to take lessons with his sister, who was keen to go to an adult class. We went together for an eight week course, once a week, and I suddenly could do the breast stroke! So within 15 months of marriage, I had learned to drive a car, swim a length, drive a tractor, and milk a cow!!

Oh, and I also learned how to cook more than just omelettes!

• Annette in SoCal wrote the following post at 7-8-2018 3:39 AM:

Lynette: Wow - that must've been quite a surprise about your friend. Do you have any idea when she made the change?  I was wondering if that was the reason you lost contact.

Read more at https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/community/placestovisit/lochgartenospreys/f/915/p/1208141/reply.aspx?tsid=e9eca2a3-48f9-470c-a8ed-a3ad73e63fd3#kQJd140QCGmYQk73.99
    No Annette.   I left home the year after I broke off an engagement to him in 1966.   No it only happened fairly recently.   He went on to meet someone and they had two boys so he stayed a family man until his children had grown up.   Eventually it all came out and his wife supported him along with his eldest son. Unfortunately his younger son had health and mental health issues and sadly took his own life.  I often wondered what had happened to this friend and through our FB group I managed to get in touch with him through another person on the site. We now write to each other and its as though the years have flown away.
    Not been on since the beginning of the week so just glancing through all your news.   That is a gorgeous picture of TeeJays.
    Do hope all of you are well, still fighting a summer cold but it will go eventually.
    Weather down here has been mixed lately and we have had some rain at long last with slightly cooler weather which makes it more tolerable.
  • just posted and its vanished not doing another one.   Hope all is OK with you all. Loved the picture of the fox by Tee Jay.

• Evening everyone.

Lindybird, that's an impressive list of accomplishments in just 15 months but all useful life skills, well, maybe apart from milking a cow.  We have a field of cows behind our house and the calves are a delight.

OG - funnily enough I went and sat in Dysart harbour today for a while. A Mediterranean gull was reported there earlier in the day. I should confess that was not the main reason for going. I had bought a huge cream cake and wanted to eat it before going home.

Good that your OH  now has his hearing aids -should make a world of difference to him .

I have 2 daughters, 4 grandchildren and just 2 wks ago my first great grandson was born. My partner has 1 son and 2 daughters and 2 grandchildren.  All live here in the village or in Kirkcaldy.

Annette- it is indeed a strange name and that's a good idea to ask why that name was chosen.  There were a good few tents in the field next door and also in the orchard. Would be lovely for a few days with plenty freedom for the children. Glad that you took a tour of the village. It's looking very flowery this year because it's trying to get a gold award.  Fife is a great place to visit but Edinburgh is a must I think if you ever come to Scotland. Lots to do.

Night everyone.