WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, AUGUST 5 2018

Hope everyone has a good week.

• Diana - Thank you for that - both interesting and comprehensive.  I think I would need two weeks rather than two days to see all that!  But I'll do my best … I was hoping to get to a performance at the Mariinsky Theatre.  I would have settled for one of the more traditional operas or ballet.  Sadly, on the one night we are there the offering is a VERY modern ballet - loud music and flashing lights.  Fortunately there was a 'preview' on YouTube, and I know I wouldn't be able to sit through two hours of it!

• Hey, Pat. THIS WEBSITE will show you all of the operas, ballets, folk shows, and concerts going on in St. Petersburg on any given day. Scroll down to the calendar and click on the date that you'll be there. It will show you all of the options. You can also click on "Genres" at the top and choose what kind of event you want to see. It tells you the shows for a variety of venues. 

It includes the Mariinsky, the Mariinsky II (their new theatre), and Mariinsky Concert Hall. It also includes all of the other famous venues, such as the Bolshoi, the Hermitage Theatre, the Alexandrinsky, etc. 

• Pat: HERE are all of the famous theatres in St. Petersburg. Click on each one and it will show you their current schedules for ballets, operas, and other shows. 

• Hello all - and nice to 'see' you, GILLIAN!

I'm sorry to read about your brother's diagnosis, CHRISY and wish him well as he starts his treatment.

I went out for lunch yesterday, with middle daughter. Afterwards, some food shopping. Today, might (might!) see if my weeds have responded to the weed killer. Yes, the very one that is said to be carcinogenic. I don't think that the little that I use of it will do much harm. Or at least, I sincerely hope not.

OG - I had no choice about swimming, as it was part of compulsary primary school activities. Once a week the class were walked up to Plymouth Hoe and got instruction from the staff at the open air pool. I well remember the ghastly rubber caps that we had to wear!

PAT - enjoy St Petersburg. I've never been to Russia so will look at DIANE's link.

ANNETTE - what a surprise, indeed! I agree with the contractor - you DO deserve it.

Regards to ALL

• Good morning, all; weather sunny, warm and dry as promised – but this was the first morning in months that our heating thermostat kicked in at 6:30.  Silly day ahead with comings and goings – think I have mentioned that before; only constant will be me, at home all day.

Chrisy – Radiotherapy at Carlisle was excellent – very caring and efficient staff, but I did fall out with the oncologist (they seemed to have a stream of locum consultants all saying different things). I also experienced their A&E (ambulance took me there when I had a “funny turn” in the course of my treatments so that I would be in the right place next morning) and that was, let’s say, inadequate.  I hope your brother will be fine at the lodging offered in Preston.  I hope you will have plenty of fun with the new camera – I have sometimes thought I should have got a bridge camera rather than my outfit and all its lenses!

Gillian – how good that you have joined us – and what a lovely area you come from!  George on this thread is also from Fife (Kirkcaldy).  We have had several great holidays in Fife, including two brief trips (from S-W Scotland) this year, to test how I would manage away from home after various traumas last year.  Enjoy your retirement – but, as others have said, you shouldn’t expect to have much spare time if you get involved in anything!

Annette – wonderful that your forbearance was recognised by the contractor on the Arizona project: enjoy the goodies!

Diane – sorry the launch was cancelled, I know you were getting up after a nap specially to watch it.  I hope you have managed to get back to sleep.

Pat – I hope someone has some personal knowledge of St Petersburg to help you make the most of your visit, with sight-seeing and suitable evening entertainment.  (PS. I see Diane has done her usual stuff as our resident researcher!)

Linda – well done to your OH re the golf trophy – pleased he had a successful day!  Has Bonnie been mischievous enough to continue her diary today?  I enjoyed that yesterday!

• Welcome, Gillian, from DownUnder.

Annette - I’ve been lurking.

Time is just passing with not much to show. Culling photos (computer recycle bin is in a state of severe shock) and not much else. I finished the knitted sausages. Luckily I made 3 sets as Wed was a pupil-free day and Miss6 was home until Guides. I was late with “quiet time” reading 3 books to twins and MissL fell asleep on lounge. I covered her with rug, moved to another room, read a weird book (her choice) to MissJ, then Miss6 read to me. She loves reading – I wonder whence she inherited that. Usual chores, drove home after sunset. Today we’ve had sun, rain sun, now freezy wind.

Pat – I asked  OH who went with a group to St Petersburg & Moscow. He said the Hermitage is a must. But he warned about getting lost as it is huge. I think he wandered away from his group and had trouble communicating. But he is hopeless, with no sense of direction!

• Hi there, OG. Just off to spend evening with TV or, more likely, a book.

• Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome.  Yes Annette, still living in Fife in a small village near the coast although we have country views which I love.  Live close to George I think.  Pat, we have a abundance of courses here right enough and often visit St Andrews which is a beautiful town.  

Benn making soup because my partner is on a diet and is also vegetarian. Me an my daughter visited a farm shop yesterday called Pillars of Hercules which has great veg. Partner is existing on soup and salads and must admit am finding it a challenge to give him a varied diet. However he loves soup and always declares it 'the best yet'. He is away to buy a car with his daughter and says he'll be back for lunch but that probably means tea time.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• Diane - Thank you sooooo much for your wonderful research.  I have glanced at all the websites for which you gave links, and will go back and look at them thoroughly later.  I am really grateful.

AQ - Yes, I had heard The Hermitage is huge!  Not somewhere to go alone, I think, particularly if you are on a tight time schedule.  Glad your OH eventually found his way out!

I get the impression everything in Russia is huge - I'll need to keep my wits about me and my eyes on the guide.

• Hi OG, Lindy bird and Aquilareen. OG, we are the next village to Kirkcaldywhen heading towards Leven. It's called Coaltown of Wemyss. I remember reading about your holidays to Fife and remember that you enjoyed then. You went to some places we enjoy like Loch Levens Larder and the hide at the Eden Estuary. Great for birds and always learn a lot from the regulars.  

You are very fortunate Aquilareen to be able to spend so much time with your granddaughters although I know it must be tiring at times. They are lucky to have such a devoted Gran. I did not see very much of my grandkids growing up because I worked long hours and latterly had 2 jobs making up for it now and they love coming along here because it's so peaceful with lovely walks.