WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, JULY 22, 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK EVERYONE.

• Thank you DIANE for thinking about us over here and giving info regarding the eclipse. I will look!

Thank you to all who have posted. I will probably get back later. Meantime - must tell you that I made a mistake. Thought son and family were arriving today and did a load of shopping. Found out that it is tomorrow! No matter, gives me more time to spruce up in the house. It is warm here, my weather station saying 30 Celsius. Fine for us oldies who can adjust our routines to suit but not so good for the workers. Grandson is melting as he works on cars. Workshop extremely hot, no air conditioning, of course.

• Awful for those who have to work, with no allowances for it, Heather.

We've arrived safely in Wales after a reasonable journey - two traffic hold ups, one caused by a boat towing car having a flat tyre!  This time we left home earlier in the day, and made a detour to go and see "Surfing Snowdonia" which is the only facility in Europe, I think, where you can surf inland!!  It's near Conwy, inland amongst the mountains. Fascinating to see the manufactured waves hurtling along, taking surfers with them. We stayed to watch, and had cheese pasties made locally, followed by ginger biscuits. Photos at a later date! (If you Google Surf Snowdonia you will find the website)

Then we came here via Betws-y-Coed and Llanberis, a lovely route through the mountains. It began to rain at that point so no pictures of that!

• Glad you've arrived,LINDY. Now, relax!

Just got a call from son - they ask if they can arrive between 3 and 4am! If I wasn't an insommniac I might have said 'No!'. As it is, no worries. It will be easier if Sam and Bella are sleeping en route. The baby, Millie, won't know either way as she is only four weeks old. Sleep, feed, sleep feed, etc.

PS- like the sound of cheese pasties!
  • Hi I am also in Wales!  Lots of delays on the M6 took an hour longer than should have. It did rain but has stopped now.  In a nice cottage not far from Dolgellau so will be visiting ospreys.

• Brilliant, CHRISY! Hope you have a lovely time.

Hope everyone is OK. I think OG is reading- Hope she has got rid of her cold.

I'm going to try and doze for a while, family on the road and say they should be here about 3am.

• Missed a couple of days – need to catch up before weekend!  No change in the weather here yet.

Pat O – see you want to chat about the car hoist for my scooter – have sent PM as a Friend request, but also given you my email address for you to use instead, which I am more likely to find!  Sold my old scooter today through newspaper ad – didn’t get its full value, but also serves to help the lady who needed it.

Annette – pleased you and friend eventually managed lunch, but it sounds a very frustrating trip!

Heather – couple opposite only went on Sunday – no idea how long they will be away.  One set of parents have been checking on the house, putting bin out etc, and one day delivered a lot of “knick-knacks” (art for the walls etc) – probably wedding presents received on the day.  I can’t help seeing as their house forms a backdrop to the bird feeders in my willow tree!  Sorry your friend is giving you cause for concern – maybe her visit to you will change her attitude to her loneliness and helplessness, since you have done so well.  Maybe you didn’t make the mistake about Son’s arrival – after all, it was today that they set out, to arrive so early in the morning.  I hope they have a good journey and don’t meet any storms!

Linda – that certainly looks and “sounds” a memorable trip to Anglesey last year – having begun with a bang in the shower, it definitely continued with more of the same!  But you visited some lovely spots there!

Rosy – I hope you are able to relax more now your Granddaughter has left, and that your OH is doing a bit better.

Dibnlib – sorry about the wee Tree Creeper!

Diane – thanks for all the eclipse info on here and on Facebook – unfortunately, cloudy sky is creeping in again – such a shame as we have had clear skies at that time for weeks up to now!

Chrisy – enjoy your stay near Dolgellau – easy to get to Dyfi and Glaslyn from there, and beautiful coast and countryside!

I know I haven’t replied to everyone, so please forgive me!  I can’t remember much about Tuesday – but at least part of it was tidying the front garden and the veg patch behind the greenhouse.  Yesterday the three of us had a good (but very hot) day out.  We went to Loch Arthur for lunch and to buy a few store-cupboard organic items.  Then we drove on to RSPB Merse Head ((passing a couple from church as we came through their village, so we had to stop for a natter).  The reserve has spoiled the birdfeeding area – planted with flowers which are very pretty and teach about planting to “give nature a home”, but make it harder to see the birds and impossible when they are on the ground.  I was quite shaken to see the young swallows starting to practice gathering on the wires!  The volunteer on duty told me that the Whimbrel are starting to be seen on passage for their southward migration – where is the year going?  On the way home we stopped for a cuppa at the Cottage Tea room opposite Sweetheart  Abbey in New Abbey (Google it for the story of Devorgilla and John Balliol).  We drove past home to have a Pizza meal in Gretna: a long but enjoyable day.

We had to be ready early this morning for the man to come and repair the shed roof – which he has completed – this will be a good thing if the weekend rain does materialise!  OH had to go out for the casts for his hearing aids and to finalise the order, but was here to see the job started, and then left J in charge!  This afternoon we sowed our last salad seeds for the year, and this evening he has put back all the things which were moved out of the shed (luckily didn’t have to fully empty it) and the stuff which is stored behind it, like spring bulbs “resting”, mini-greenhouse frames and cold frames etc; now he is watering anything which would be sheltered from the rain, against walls etc.

Again, apologies for a very long post!  Enjoy the eclipse, those that can see it, and have a good weekend!

• Enjoy your holiday, Chrisy!

Boo hoo!!  -- We can't see the blood moon, as there is too much cloud. It keeps trying to rain.

• Thank you Diane, for the information about the moon. Like Lindy though, We cannot see it. After weeks of cloudless nights, it is so frustrating!

The clouds are welcome though, and it has cooled down a little. We had some rain,

but not enough to benefit the garden.

A lovely long post from  you, OG. You manage to remember everything, and reply to all.

Intriguing goings on over the road! Glad you have well placed bird feeders. We do need to know who our neighbours are.

Glad that you all had a good day out.

• Very late to bed, couldn’t sleep for a while as my mind was still rushing down steep mountains with the cyclists, woke at 6.20 am, tottered outside for a glimpse of moon & Mars. Not brilliant as sky was lightening in pre dawn light, tried to go back to bed, gave up, had breakfast. Nanny nap later methinks.

• Evening all:  Lots of excitement in our neighborhood when a vegetation fire broke out on the other side of the freeeway around 4pm.  OH and I were tidying up stuff in the driveway when we noticed bits of stuff drifting down from the sky, then we looked up and saw a dark cloud above the trees, then very, very bright red flames high over the trees.  Eeeek.  Anyway, loads of fire engines and a water-dropping helicopter, which flew dazzlingly low at tree-top level, showed up and a couple of hours later it was all over.  OH and I were watching it live and simultaneously on the news (although we couldn't hear the TV well with the helicopter so low over the houses).   That's the second time I've been that close to a vegetation fire and it's hard to believe just how vivid the flames appear even in bright sunshine.  Quite impressive.

AQ:  Congrats on whipping out a scarf on such short order - and to be rewarded with a super smile!  Too bad about those sausages though...    :-)    Hope you got your nap,

Lindybird: Have a nice weekend.

ChrisyB:  How long are you in Wales?

Heather: Granddaughter arrived for a visit at 4am one morning and I said Never again, mostly because I was worrying about her driving (from Arizona) and kept callling her to make sure all was well.  

OG: Nice that the lady who bought your old scooter got a good deal for something she really needed.   Sounds like you've been really busy.

Gosh - A shame so many UK folks weren't able to see the eclipse.

Can't believe it's the weekend already!  Take care everyone