Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 8 July 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful -- or at least a better -- week!

Scarlet Tanager 

Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (Lake Michigan)
U.S. National Park Service
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free) 

• Lindybird said:

Limpy, I'm on my way round with that hug!!!!!

You are always most welcome to visit our beautiful part of the world!  He'd absolutely love Bonnie, too.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Heather:  Geez. That's scary that things can get so serious so quickly. What's the recovery time I wonder.

I see the woman in the Amesbury poisoning case has died.  That's scary too that this stuff is out there in the community.....

Storms this afternoon but still humid.

EDIT: Was just browsing the BBC website and came across this item on the killings among Scotland's eagles, which has been a topic on here several times.  https://www.bbcearth.com/blog/?article=scotlands-missing-eagles

• Good Morning.  Sunny start here again. We're packing up to go home today, as we daren't leave stuff at home to suffer in this heat. It's been pleasant here, as it's several degrees cooler than home, where we've had some of the highest temps in the country. It's gone a little quieter as the noisy folks have gone now, here: we were just glad that they weren't next door to us, but two doors down.

Have a good Monday, everyone.

• Safe journey, LINDY! I feel obliged to report that it was raining up here yesterday. Fine stuff but wet, nevertheless.

AQ- great pics of your girls.

I'm up to date with reading on here, hope to catch up fully. Had an email from the Danes saying that they might come to Scotland for a few days- crumbs!- next weekend.

• Good morning - pleasantly cloudy here so more comfortable temps but no wind, so still need the fans on - trees are just hanging in the still warm air.  Forecast suggests a possible drop of drizzle in the next hour or so - I'll let you know if I see it!

Have a good drive home, LINDA, and I hope everything in the garden is okay for you.

HEATHER - hope you have the energy for the Danes' visit next week!  Will you go back with them again, or not this time?

Blood tests for me this afternoon, then hope they reduce to every three months.  Had email from Grandson#1 - they will be down this way at the end of the month (had booked a cottage for his mum's original wedding date and decided to keep it for a holiday) so want to meet up - himself and wife and Miri and his mother-in-law aka baby-minder plus his brother and wife (the ones we saw on our holiday); so quite a gathering.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Yes, OG, quite a gathering but you will enjoy seeing Miri, especially! When is the new baby due? I won't go back to Denmark with our friends, if they do decide to come here. I feel the need to be at home for a while!

• Goodness, Heather - I feel that that's rather short notice! I expect you'll be pleased to see them, but they shouldn't be surprised if you cry off and ask for another date!

We got home after a reasonable journey, and all seems well, although my poor sweet peas look rather sad & have very few flowers on them. My OH has dashed off to see what's going on, on the allotment. I'm not rushing to fill the w. machine, as I'm sure there will be plenty of dry days ahead - the forecast for similar weather seems never ending!

Off to see if there's anything in the freezer for us to eat tonight, as we didn't buy anything.

• HEATHER - Miri's wee sibling is due in October - the month before her second birthday - if GD-I-L lasts that long - according to Dau#2 she is huge!

LINDA - hope you found something good in the freezer - presumably to go with peas and potatoes if he remembers to bring them from the allotment!  Actually, with new summer crops coming in, I am happy to eat just veg with butter - often had that when I was a child!  We are having a veggie night tonight - with cheese sauce.

J has started emptying the grasses patch - quite hard work, but he did two hours today.

Great news from Thailand - prayers for tomorrow.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• OG - I just love new potatoes with butter and black pepper. Don't need anything else - but cheese sauce - yum! Also runner beans and fresh peas. Sad that I don't grow veg any more.....

Yes - news from Thailand is so good.
  • Morning all:  I see more boys out of the cave.  Fingers crossed the rest are out soon, though it's not much consolation for the family of the one person who died last weeek.

Heather:  Eeek  Just what you need - more visitors!  Is the male Dane as touchy about topics at your house as at his?  I understand you feeling the need to be home for a while.

OG: Your grandson sounds very thoughtful. His visit will be something to look forward to.

Hectic here.  Things due to be installed today are not here; same for things due to be installed tomorrow.   Arghhhh.....